ekezick

Ripstop tape on ZP for long time???

I’ve heard that repairs with ripstop are harmful for ZP. My canopy has such repairs in two places and one of them is pretty large (6-7 cm circle from both sides). The canopy has good lines and I haven’t another reason to send my Tri-190 to manufacturer, on the other hand. The matter is that there isn’t any good rigger in our region for repairing with normal patch.
You opinions?

Eric

Rip Stop on ZP is not very affective any way. How large is the hole or tear, and where is it located. Include wether it's near a seam load bearing or non loadbearing rib... Detail as best you can.

It's a bummer that there are no qualified riggers to sew a patch on for you.

I have a hole in the top cell of my Parachute you can see it in flight. I could probably put my finger through it now. It's been there for around 1500 jumps. I don't recomend this of course, but I was keeping an eye on it as an experiment. So far I'm not to going to fix it.

Since it's ZP I wouldn't put Ripstop on it any way.

Good luck
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Some adhesive on some brands of ripstop tape will rot nylon fabric.
The other problem is adhesive holding sand/salt/grit against the fabric.
The sand slowly grinds a larger hole in the fabric.
If you intend to keep the canopy for a few more years, then invest in some decent sewn patches.
Hint, before you mail it off, ask the rigger if he has a stock of Gelvenor ZP fabric from South Africa.

Riggerrob,

Does this hold true for F111 material also?

I ask because I just bought a used Falcon otherwise in great shape except for a small rip, up around the bridle attachment point where the fabric was obviously stuck between the bag grommit, and bridle. I put a piece of ripstop on it, on the upper surface and the lower surface of the tear.
Is the tape degrading the fabric even when it's just laying dormant in my gear bag? :S

Rod