icevideot

Any first hand knowledge of Stilettos with HMA or Vectran?

I actually posted this on the Gear and Rigging forum and the riggers there have been helpful in telling me who can build the lineset for me. I appreciate that help but I would like to hear from a few people who are jumping these. Thanks

I am jumping a Stiletto 89 loaded heavily for mostly video and some AFF jumps. Having had a tired Stiletto 97 relined, I know how much being in trim can improve openings and flare. It made a dramatic difference in the entire flight range.

I would like a lineset built from HMA so the trim will not change as much. I know the lines will still need to be replaced and I will have to look much closer for wear issues. I do visual and controllability checks on every opening and will chop in the event of a broken line no matter what it is made of. The canopy is just too small not to IMHO.

When I contacted PD they responded very quickly and explained they don't build or endorse the use of HMA or Vectran on Stilettos because they haven't thoroughly tested it on this particular canopy. I have to respect that. The Stiletto is an older design so I doubt it will ever be financially viable for them to test. Makes sense to me.

I know there are people out there with experience in this because I have seen some of the canopies around. I just want to know what you guys jumping them think. And for you guys building the linesets, do you alter the trim at all? I have read that the trim is set initially to accept a little shrinkage from Spectra. That doesn't sound right to me because I want the fresh lines to be in trim, not for the canopy to come into trim in a couple of hundred jumps.

I want to repeat, I am not trying to turn a Stiletto into a Katana or anything else. I am not looking to deviate from the trim intended in the design. I just want trim "stability" for lack of a better word.

Thanks for any help you guys can be. PM's will work as well but I like to use the board for most stuff.

Happy Holidays,
Robin
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

Lol. I had a lot of pm's and emails to call Mel. He does great work but I am impressed with how many referrals he got. I did 3 jumps on Fri and I think the packjobs were good. Line stretch and the first stage of the snivel look as good as a Crossfire. As soon as inflation begins, the slider comes down so fast I can't really see it move! It is up and then it is down and the canopy is flying. In slow motion the slider seems to move at what I consider to be a normal to fast speed for real time video. I am confident this is caused by the upper steering lines having shrunk enough to make the setting very deep when stowed. The lowers have been replaced so they are long enough to make it fly quite nicely.

Mel built my HMA line set Sat but he is busy so it will be a couple of weeks before I can get them installed.

I missed a lot of money because after Friday, I thought jumping Sat was a bad idea. My neck is a bit jacked up and the dz had a great day. I guess I will be putting my 97 back on risers until I get the lineset installed.

After I have had them for a while I will post how I like the lines.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."