kamalasound

Velo pilots at 2.5

I was wondering what are the current wing loadings and wing dimensions that are used in distance competitions now that weight restrictions have been applied.
In particular are the Pd guys flying the same "bigger" wings at lighter loadings (2.1 / 2.2) or are they flying smaller canopies at very high loadings (2.5/2.6) ?

I am flying a Velo 103 at 2.17 and was wondering if, for the distance comps, a Velo 90 at 2.5 or a Velo 96 at 2.3 would be better.

Thanks

Have you flown those wings? I tried a Velo 111 loaded at 2.4+ and decided that even though it was FAST I would be better served with a Velo 120 loaded at 2.3.

The factory guys set records loading their Velos in the 2.5 range. They also weren't jumping your average Velo canopies that anyone can buy.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have flown the 111 the 103 and I am now trying the 90. Unfortunately there is no 96 around that I can demo.
The 111 I do not like that much compared to the 103 that I love.

I bought the 111 and the 103 before the weight restrictions, but the fact is that now I cannot load weights due to my personal weight. This is why I was asking if the velo pilots are flying smaller wings in order to keep the 2.5 range or if they kept flying bigger wings with a lighter loading 2. /2.3.

It sounds like you and I are loading about the same. I had a 103 last season, and competed with it without weight and loaded like you do. I got 400'+ on a couple of occasions in competition on my 103. That is up here in Colorado for what that is worth. I currently fly a 96 loaded at 2.3. I really like that loading and I feel that I can get some more speed out of it than my 103, but I have noticed that there is a little less shut down on the 96. I am still able to get some good distances on it though. I have the blue lines and rds. Call Mel at Skyworks rigging and tell him Grant sent you!!! I have put a few jumps on a 90 velocity loaded at 2.5. At that loading it really fell out of the sky, and I felt my options were limited on a bad spot or whatnot. It really cheweed up the altitude durring the turn and it felt like it sank out quite a bit before driving forward after planning out. My 96 dives and when I want it to plane out it starts to drive forward at that time. The 90 just really felt like a different canopy to me at 2.5. It was really twitchy, and lost a lot of altitude. I guess I just feel more comfortable on the 96 at this altitude (5,500' - 6,500' msl). I'm not saying the 90 is a bad canopy, but that it just felt different to me and I liked the 96 better. Your results may vary. Be carefull out there.

I am flying a Velo 103 at 2.17 and was wondering if, for the distance comps, a Velo 90 at 2.5 or a Velo 96 at 2.3 would be better.

there are other competions than distance....

but no one can tell you what is better, everyone fly's their canopy different, i've always like the high loadings, 2.5 or 2.6....it fits my flying style better, but other people don't do as well under a higher loading, and they prefer something in the 2.2 or 2.3 range.

try them out, put some jumps on them, and decide what will do best for you.

peace out ninja's

I have heard that teh JVX is really liking the higher loadings. There are some guys out there saying the canopy really begins to shine above 2.5. Nick Batch says that the hybrid with sail top skin is the heat, but I don't know why just sail top skin would be any better than a full sail canopy.

I guess you and me Spizzarko are flying exactly the same wing loadings. I have Mel's lines and rds and find them awesome.
I will have to try both of the canopies and see what fits me best.
Thanks for the help.

Thinking about JVX as well but seems somewhat difficult to ride.

I have heard that teh JVX is really liking the higher loadings. There are some guys out there saying the canopy really begins to shine above 2.5. Nick Batch says that the hybrid with sail top skin is the heat, but I don't know why just sail top skin would be any better than a full sail canopy.

i've always like higher wing loadings......even my fx i had 4 years ago i loaded at 2.4.....my vx at the same, and that's when eveyone was going bigger, and i jumped on and tried a velo out that was bigger and hated it, i was slow :P, and i didn't go as far.

i jumped an 87 jvx, mark shimmels, in atlanta at like 2.5 or so, and that thing was a rocket, the only complaint i had was the shut down, it wasn't all that great, but the distance and the carving power really amazed me, it lays over like it was it's only purpose in life, B|

dont' know why a hybrid would be any better than a full sail though, haven't jumped either yet, it seams like the full would be better but who knows

that's all i got

peace ou ninja's

I put one jump on full sail jvx 96. It had a lot of glide! You should not have to much of a problem getting back from a long spot with one. I actually ordered a jvx full sail 89, but it hasn't come in yet. Don't get me wrong I like the 96 velocity, and I feel it is an amazing canopy and that most people have not flown it to it's fullest, but I'm trying the JVX out just to try something new. I am interested to see how the sail material performs.

The blue lines and RDS really make a velocity zing don't they? Mel has really good customer service too, and that is harder and harder to find in this day and age.

The blue lines and RDS really make a velocity zing don't they? Mel has really good customer service too, and that is harder and harder to find in this day and age.

Really love the RDS but the linesets are even better!!!
I have the PD's HMA linesets as well but they have nothing to do with Mel's and are completely different from the HMA lines that the PD guys used to fly.

i jumped an 87 jvx, mark shimmels, in atlanta at like 2.5 or so, and that thing was a rocket, the only complaint i had was the shut down, it wasn't all that great, but the distance and the carving power really amazed me, it lays over like it was it's only purpose in life,

whats up bro, problem solved. come try my 84 hybrid!:o:)
shutdown is much better.:)

I was wondering what are the current wing loadings and wing dimensions that are used in distance competitions now that weight restrictions have been applied.
In particular are the Pd guys flying the same "bigger" wings at lighter loadings (2.1 / 2.2) or are they flying smaller canopies at very high loadings (2.5/2.6) ?

Thanks

depends on:
1 pilot ability
2 currency
3 environmental conditions
4 size of canopy and,
5 if it's a stock or "moded" canopy

from what i saw this year on the PST (not just the PDFT) sizes ranged from 79-96 with a few 103's and 111's. while wingloading ranged from 2.1-2.7+

sorry i couldn't be more specific but it's too dependant on the pilot and all the variables.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

whats up bro, problem solved. come try my 84 hybrid!

well if i make it back down that direction soon but more than likely i'm just going to buy one in a couple month......i know i liked the standard jvx, so now i'm just going to save up and buy a hybrid.......can't fit a full sail in my rig, and i'm not sure if i want to deal with the packing of a full sail....i'm not even sure if i want to deal with packing a hybrid really......who knows, just need like another grand and i should have the money for one!!!

peace out ninja's

well, you know who to talk to when your ready. give me a call and ask all the questions you can. I do have a few more answers than I did before, because I have the hybrid now, I can tell you the feel of it..

you and me have always liked the same wings, so it should be an easy conversation.

p.s. I talked to mel, and I will leave that at that.:P