kateh

swoop comp for the ladies?

Guys, Relax.
There not nearly as many female swoopers as men. Some women might not compete because they are intimidated by the amount of male talent out there, not to mention the obvious size disadvantage. An all female comp might bring women out to get competition experience, learn from each other, maybe win some money, and of couse have fun.

Some women might not compete because they are intimidated by the amount of male talent out there, not to mention the obvious size disadvantage.

Huh, Kat and Brit did really damned well in the TX CPC year before last. This past year Kat had movied and Brit was injured so they didn't compete. They're coming back and there's a few other women that have started swooping in TX so they can compete in the CPC.

An all female comp might bring women out to get competition experience, learn from each other, maybe win some money, and of couse have fun.

I look at the rest of skydiving, since obviously thats a good example of what has historically worked. That's why there's a mens and women's divison at nationals for 4-way, 8-way, 16-way, FF, Style, Accuracy...Oh, there's not and there's a lot of really badass women skydivers on all of those teams? Oh.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What are the biggest hurdles when it comes to running a swoop competition?

1) Obtaining approval from the DZO.

2) Being able to find spaces on the loads for the swoopers.

3) Obtaining course materials (including camcorders)

4) Obtaining people willing to judge.

5) Ensure the participates have the skill to safely negotiate the various courses.

Sometimes it amazing that we can even hold swoop comps period as there will be no comp at all if any of these above mention points can not be met. But should there be a women's only comp? Why not I say. If you've got the okay from the DZO, can get on loads, have the course materials and judges (shit I'd be more than happy to judge a women's comp), then all you need is enough interest from qualified competitors. But at the same time, watch for some changes to competitive swooping in the years to come. Weight classes can help smaller girls compete on a more even playing field and all that we really need is more qualified pilots to make it all happen. But what people (regardless of gender) need to make sure they are doing is running the gates in practice many many times before you ever try to run gates in the higher stress realms of competition.

Good luck with your women's swoop comp if you can pull it off. I'd like to see video from it (if I can't be there in person). But at the same time, there's no reason why the girls can't come out and compete with the guys on normal swoop comps. Just make sure you can run the gates in practice before you try and do it in a competition.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Some women might not compete because they are intimidated by the amount of male talent out there, not to mention the obvious size disadvantage.

Huh, Kat and Brit did really damned well in the TX CPC year before last. This past year Kat had movied and Brit was injured so they didn't compete. They're coming back and there's a few other women that have started swooping in TX so they can compete in the CPC.

while it is nice that there are 2 women on the CPC many women in this sport are very intimidated by canopy flight and swooping in general. note, i said some in my original post and in truth it is many.

while it is nice that there are 2 women on the CPC many women in this sport are very intimidated by canopy flight and swooping in general. note, i said some in my original post and in truth it is many.

Sure, but why segregate? A swoop comp implies that they are inviting women who are currently swoopers. Thus its purely a segregation event with no other value.

A swoop camp, is what you're thinking of, in which you bring in some good canopy pilot and hold seminars, debreifs, etc.

A women's swoop camp would be a GREAT idea. Have Kaz or someone similar come in and teach, debrief landings, go up on drill dives, etc. A swoop comp, however, is not a good idea. If someone can't do a high performance turn and run gates already, a comp is NOT the place to try. That's how people get hurt and killed.

Sure, but why segregate? A swoop comp implies that they are inviting women who are currently swoopers. Thus its purely a segregation event with no other value.

swoop competitions can come in a variety of formats and many women all over the world are swooping the gates but not wanting to get into the competitions the males are holding because they are so serious, lots are flying highly loaded x-brace canopies and maybe they aren't, and again i repeat women are generally intimidated.

to hold a friendly competition where women, who are probably mostly friends at the dz can come out and compete in a comfortable environment may give them the confidence to join the nxt one the boys are having.

I dont know what Florida DZ she is talking about having this proposed event at, but there are at least three of us in the state with every bit of course material and the experience needed to run a proper meet: myself, Lyle Presse, and Chris Hayes. I don't know where she jumps or if she has talked to anyone somewhere else in the state, but I don't think it's a particularly bad idea.

Chuck

I just want to see everyone play together, everyone swoop and everyone have fun. If you have the basic skills to run a course safely, then go and be in the CPC (or equivelent in your area). Lets not split things up with male/female, white/black/hispanic/other, or any other segregator...well, except for weight classes, that wouldn't be that bad of a thing.

I really think a swoop camp that caters to women would be a good thing, many women are at the opposite end of the spectrum that I'm at. Things are different when you're not in the middle.

aggie - wake up to the fact that there are differences to women and men in this sport and not all girls are a kaz sheeky, or a brit.

Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean that I don't understand whats going on. That's why I suggested a camp, which completes your goal of wanting to get more women interested in swooping.

Trust me, over the last few years I've really learned more then I thought I could about women in the sport. My wife did her first jump in Oct 3 years ago. I took her on that first jump then watched her get to where she is now, with 500 jumps and a women's state record (you'll find her and her name in this month's parachutist).

btw just so that everyone knows this

my statement about sexism was a purely tounge in cheek statement...in fact most of my statements of said nature are saidsame in tounge cheeked tonality

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

aggie - wake up to the fact that there are differences to women and men in this sport and not all girls are a kaz sheeky, or a brit.

but perhaps you need to wake up and realize that all women could be a kaz sheeky (well outside of her awesome accent and really chill vibe) and I dont know brit, but I am sure most women could be like her in swooping if they so choosed...as we all know all it takes is dedication and training to at least learn how to swoop...yes there may be some who have better eyes for it...but seriously folks...

Dave

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

because they are so serious

hmmm serious, swoop competition and males all in the same sentace...

that makes me go hmmmmmm

D

Thanx for the info (SkyMonkey). I haven't approached a DZ yet. I wanted to get some feedback from ladies that might be interested first. I was not interested in having a debate with those that just want to criticize what is supposed to be a positive thing. I have participated in many women's events with the Pink Mafia and Sugar Gliderz 2.0 and they are meant to be fun events to promote friendship among women in the sport. This is part of that. With that said I'de like to only hear from those that wish to participate or help out. Thanx.

I've "participated" (takes the pressure off when you know you'll end up last...) at the Ranch Pondswoop for a couple of years (it's my home DZ) and it can be very intimidating. However, the experience focuses your thinking and for me was always a personal challenge to find the courage inside. So aside from doing a gut check every jump, I always came away with new friendships and lots of information to work on. It would be great to meet more women in the discipline and be able to learn and share our experiences - especially how to maximize what we can get out of our potentially lower wing loading (speaking for myself at 1.7) and "less than crossbraced" canopies. I'd definitely make the attempt to go.

Hi Kate,

I think it's a great idea - perhaps you can mix a camp and a comp and run it over a couple of days.
I'm with SkyMonkey on this one, don't find it a bad idea at all (having just returned from Chicks Rock where I had a great time with a bunch of great skydiving gals).
If I'm available at the time of the event, I'd be happy to help with judging!

Blue ones,
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine