mujie96

My bag is too small

My Wings takes a 150 like it was supposed to but getting the darn thing in takes an act of God and usually ends up with me trying 4 times before giving up and paying for the pack job. Anyone got tips for packing a still fairly slippery ZP canopy into a bag a size too small? I want to jump a lot in Eloy and I really don't feel like blowing hundreds of $$ on pack jobs.

Jess

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming....

Psycho packing is perfect for that, or learn how to pro-pack very well. If you want, in Eloy, I'll show you how I do it and I promise it will go in the bag the first time, the right way.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Psycho packing is perfect for that, or learn how to pro-pack very well. If you want, in Eloy, I'll show you how I do it and I promise it will go in the bag the first time, the right way.

aggie beat me to it, i was also going to suggest psychopacking it. if you don't find dave, i'll show you too!!
btw, what kind of canopy is it?
http://www.exitshot.com

Contact Henry at Wings and let him know. That's the same trouble some Wings users had at our DZ. He was quick to send out a larger d-bag. Get on it! The Eloy trip is comin up!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

correct me if i'm wrong, youhave a 150ZP canopy and can't get it into your wings, designed for 150 ish canopies? if so... that's really no problem to solve it: pack, pack, pack, pack... pack... and repack again some 15 times... and then, after you packed it some 30 times in a row (the quickest way to get used to packing your canopy is to pack 40 times in 2 days) pack it again for 20 times! ;)

it's kinda hard, you'll lose weight definetely, but it works!

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

Instead of doing s-fold on top of s-fold...I usually recommend doing the top s-fold (the topskin s-fold) first and putting that into the back and then you have 1/2 of it in...then you do the bottom s-fold, by the warning label after. done and done. its the same way that PD recommends, but a bit easier to manage when you have a slippery ZP canopy.

Two suggestions:
First, learn the rolling phase of psycho-packing. It makes it way easier to bag any canopy.
Secondly, if you don't like rolling, then try Philipp Ludwig's method. Philipp starts by pro-packing the canopy, laying it on the floor and folding the edges under so it about the same width as the d-bag. Then he kneels on the top edge of the orange warning label. This prevents the slider and lines from wandering during the next 5 steps. It also slows air trying to re-enter the canopy. He reaches underneath to grab the leading edge and presses most of the canopy against his belly. With his other hand, he slides the d-bag between the canopy and the floor, locking it in place with his knees.
Now that the canopy, d-bag and floor are clamped together by his knees, he has both hands free to steer the top 3/4 of the canopy.
He grabs the canopy half way up and shoves it into the top corners of the d-bag.
Then he straightens out the bridle and shoves the top 1/4 of the canopy into the d-bag.
Now is a good time to cock the kill-line.
Now and only now does he move his knees.
Finally, he up-ends the d-bag on the bridle and shoves the remaining lower 1/4 of the canopy into the center of the d-bag.
After stowing the first rubber band, he catches his breath.
The beauty of Philipp's method is that the important parts are clamped throughout most of the bagging process and you are only trying to bag 1/4 of the canopy at a time.

1. I will absolutely, positively take you guys up on the psycho packing lesson.
2. My rig is designed for a 135, the 150 was supposed to be tight but I didn't realize how tight they meant. I was actually getting fairly good packing my rental rig, in which the bag was designed for the size canopy it contained.
3. Its a Sabre, and it could be way more slippery but since my last one was an antique I got spoiled.
4. I will e-mail Wings, but as it is the bag, once filled with canopy, also requires some effort to get into the container, I'm not sure a larger one is in order. It would also lead to way more swearing when its time to close the container and I don't want to offend anyone's fragile ears in Eloy.
Thanks!
Jess

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming....

Where's the psycho packing website, so I can practice?

Sorry to hear about your problems Jess, I was thinking that was going to be difficult when you ordered it, but I think you'll be able to get it with practice.

http://precision.aerodynamics.com/psycho/psycho_pack.htm

Try watching the video, then read through the instructions and look at the pictures. It might be difficult for you to get the hang of at first, but once you do it's nice.

--
Hook high, flare on time

Anyone got tips for packing a still fairly slippery ZP canopy into a bag a size too small?

Jess

I've been stuffing a brand new ZP canopy into a tight Wings D-bag lately too. My solution has been large rubber bands which allow the lid of the bag to stay open a bit... the D-bag looks like it's ready to burst, and the lid of that bag will not close completely, but it all goes nicely into the container anyway. It should be easier to pack after the canopy's broken in.

Chris Warnock

You have to be careful, having the canopy squeezing out of the bag like that with the large rubber bands isn't good for the canopy. It can cause wear on the tail of the canopy/topskin of the canopy (which is what would be exposed in that scenerio).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Jess,

I have a Spectre 150 in my Wings W8, which is really designed for a 135. When the canopy was still pretty new and slippery, it was a real pain, so I can totally relate. :)
Don't ask me for packing tips, though because I used a packer whenever I could, and I still do. :$ I hate to pack, and also, when I am trying to get on the more experienced loads, the organizers expect me to be ready to debrief, dirt dive and skydive on THEIR schedule. That doesn't leave much time for a difficult pack job, especially if I want to squeeze in a potty break or maybe lunch in between dives!

Good luck with it! Make it work and don't downsize til you are ready!

maura