airborne82nd

Crossfire 1 or 2 - user friendly

For both the 1 and 2 crossfire loading each to just 1.4 which canopy would be more easily flown buy new swoop pilots. which one would land easily more predictable in the flare ect..

am i right that the 1 turns a bit slower and doesnt dive as far and is more docile then the 2. is the 1 a good begining advanced canopy and is the 2 a step up from that under the bare min wingloading for performance??

an unrelated question i know someone great canopy pilot looking for a crossfire loaded 1.4 or an fx loaded at 1.2 would the fx lannd better or is the advantage just seen in the upper end of the performance and wing loading.

i am feeling that i would get a crossfire 1 first unless the 2 would be a better canopy to gro into.

thanks again

For both the 1 and 2 crossfire loading each to just 1.4 which canopy would be more easily flown buy new swoop pilots. which one would land easily more predictable in the flare ect..

am i right that the 1 turns a bit slower and doesnt dive as far and is more docile then the 2. is the 1 a good begining advanced canopy and is the 2 a step up from that under the bare min wingloading for performance??

an unrelated question i know someone great canopy pilot looking for a crossfire loaded 1.4 or an fx loaded at 1.2 would the fx lannd better or is the advantage just seen in the upper end of the performance and wing loading.

i am feeling that i would get a crossfire 1 first unless the 2 would be a better canopy to gro into.

thanks again

Just buy a XF2. There is no reason to get a XF1. They are ok, but if you get the 1 make sure it had the service bulliten done. I jump a XF2 and to me there is no compelling reason that you should jump a 1 first. Getting a 1 and then a 2 would mostly be a waste of money.

As for your other questions, if your getting into swooping the word 'easily' should be taken out of your vocabulary. There is nothing easy or forgiving about swooping. I wouldn't consider either of the canopys docile at 1.4.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Assuming we're talking about you and that you're coming from a Triathlon 175 as noted in your profile, in no particular order a Sabre 2, Lotus, or Safire 150 would be a better choice.

I managed not to break myself too much (bruised heels for a few months) by easing into more agressive shapes (square 135->elliptical 134->twitchier elliptical 120) than I would have if I jumped right there and would _strongly_ recommend the same to other people.

Even though BZ told me I'd be happier under a smaller FX, I decided to try a 119 loaded at 1.6 pounds/square foot so I could compare canopies and not sizes versus my Stiletto 120.

While it dived nice and kept flying to a lower speed, it was unresponsive and had high riser pressures. Dropping to a 104 arround 1.8 got me something closer to what I was used to in terms of control sensitivity but still had the heavier risers.

Based on that, I'd say that the FX is an enabling technology which lets you go to a wing loading which would set you down at an uncomfortable speed under a conventional canopy (1.8 with a formed nose and 9000 foot density altitude, maybe 2.0 at sea level?).

At 1.2 - 1.4 pounds/square foot, anything from the major manufacturers made out of ZP (even a Sabre or Monarch) is going to land nicely.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why you would buy a XF1 then a XF2. It doesn't make sense to me.

Demo a XF2 in the appropiate size and wingloading, if you have the experience to do so, and see if you like it. If you do, great, if not, demo other canopies.

1.4 or an fx loaded at 1.2 would the fx lannd better or is the advantage just seen in the upper end of the performance and wing loading.

Which car is better? The Camaro or the Corvette? Now why someone would spend the money on a FX only to jump it loaded at 1.2 is beyond me, especially since 1.4 is when the XF2 starts to really come alive.

This entire post is posted with a warning label: Only jump these canopies if you are of the right experience level and with the correct wingloading for your jump numbers. That means if the people around you are telling you no, then this post is telling you no as well.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Just buy a XF2. There is no reason to get a XF1. They are ok, but if you get the 1 make sure it had the service bulliten done.

If he can get a better deal on the XF1 isn't that a reason? I was under the impression that there was little difference between the XF2 and the XF1 with the service bulletin mod.

I've never jumped a XF2 but then (as far as I know) Derrick has never jumped a XF1. What I have jumped is a XF1 119 (200 jumps) and a Katana 120 (2 jumps) and I didn't notice much of a performance difference between the two.

There is quite a few improvements from the Crossfire 1 to the Crossfire 2. The Crossfire 2 has a longer recovery arch ( in my Crossfire 2 130 it had about 60 feet longer recovery arch from my Crossfire 1 129 if I remember correctly). Also the front riser pressure on the Crossfire 2 is about half of the Crossfire 1. Lastly, the Crossfire 2 is much more hip input sensitive.
Kirk

it's all perception. best advice would be just demo everything you can and make your own judgements. i demo'd both a XF1 and a XF2, and i went with the XF1, just felt better to me.

i would stay away from xbraced right now as you most likely have more to learn with 9 cell/non-xbraced canopies. build your fundementals first, then progressed.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

thanks again

I love my XF2, I just sold one of em and bought another one after demoing a few other canopies....

I load mine a little under 1.7lbs per sq ft and it flies like a champ, digs out quickly, flies nice on rears, flies really far and I love it a whole lot!!!

I would say that perhaps coming from a triathalon you might want to fly a safire2 or sabre 2 or lotus or somethign of that ilk as they give you a huge amount of buffer if you screw up and it can happen, I learned almost everythign I know abotu swooping on a sabre2 170 (up until I took brian germains advanced canopy coure which I cant reccomend enough)

cheers and safe swoops

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Just buy a XF2. There is no reason to get a XF1. They are ok, but if you get the 1 make sure it had the service bulliten done.

If he can get a better deal on the XF1 isn't that a reason? I was under the impression that there was little difference between the XF2 and the XF1 with the service bulletin mod.

I've never jumped a XF2 but then (as far as I know) Derrick has never jumped a XF1. What I have jumped is a XF1 119 (200 jumps) and a Katana 120 (2 jumps) and I didn't notice much of a performance difference between the two.

If he can get a better deal sure. Thats not what he was asking though. I am making the assumption that he thinks jumping a XF1 is going to be safer and well, it isn't. From that regard there is no reason to buy a XF1.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

yes i was wondering of the xf1 is safer then the xf2 or less agressive what i gathered it is true its is less agressive xf2 is a faster turner a harder diver and more sensative. i also understand it has more lift. but i have seen seval xf1 with awesome glides great flare and good swoops. i also seen the xf2 and wow clearly a better canopy.

economics would grant me the xf1 or 2. what ever deal i can get.

i spoke to many good people who got into say a 169 cross fire and downsized over a period one guy i know took 2 years to go from 169, 149 129 and now he has a 119 and damn he can swoop that cross fire for a non braced is amazing.

his point and several people said the cool thing about the crossfires is you can get into the canopy with a biger size and light loaded say 169 and down size on the same canopy. to me that is an awesome advantage.

dont worry about my level i just need the questions answered i have plenty of canopy experience and jumped a sabre 2 135 loaded 1.7. the triathlon is an old canopy that i need to sell once i buy something else. diablos, sabres, vision ( nice lift ) sabre 2 stiletos ect... and i hate spinning. over and over and over while bicycling line twist out.

problem i cant find any crossfires to demo i have a buddy with a 135 xf1 and it flies awesome.

so i have a great love for the crossfire 1 or 2 i just wanted to know what one 1 or 2 is better for me. i also have spoke to several people who sold their xf2 and kept there xf1 goes against the grain but they like the 1 better. i have been told that the xf1 is more docile and would be a better start up. canopy in the 159 range or a xf2 169 or 149.

nothing spins like a diablo or stileto and everyone says the crossfuire wont spin like that and they snival awesome.

but if the crossfire 2 is better ill save my pennies and get that one also. lot of poeple downsize and i know i can get a good deaL.

another guy i know jumps a 149 crossfire 2 he ways 200 lbs and he lands it soft and straight in and then i see him do a slow 270 and haul ass.

Ok my friend is a great canopy pilot he weighs 125 lbs so a fx 104 wouldnt be to loaded for him. a cross fire 2 105 or so ect.. he jumps 99 diablo ( i guess ) ect.. and last weekend he landed a triathlon 120 in someones fenced in yard ( very impressive on an off landing ) the kid is good.

so if he got a great deal on a fx 104 should he jump on it or should he get the crossfire 109 and advantage to either??

hope that clears up everything.

oh ya i am way to conservative and i am not crazy like fast and all those high speed guys so it will take me 200 jumps and canopy coaching as i ease into swooping and i do mean ease those of you that know me know i like change very slowly it took me forever till i was ready to leanr how to sitfly and ill be head down in another 2 years.

you guys are very talented and have lots of guts. ill get there but it will take me 4 times as long.

( side not i rode motocross when i was 8 till 17 when i was 12 every one was doing double jumps ect.. i didnt do double jumps till i was 14 my point was it took me longer but i was better at 15 years old then my more agressive friends ) i guess it was technical for me and for my friends it was all guts.

i also take some canopy coaching and freefall caoching from a guy who failed aff 3, 4, 5 ect... and he is one of the best flyers i know ( overall )

so starting conservative but to be on the canopy like the crossfire and be able to downsize and stay on the same canopy for me would be the best.