shunkka

downsizing... am i wrong?

a friend of mine just bought a ninja 97

he have 600 jumps, 100 on old russian ROUND canopy T4, 400 on very big canopy (parafoil 252/282) and in the last 2 years 100 on a bluetrack 140
i told him it`s a bad ideea to downsize from bluetrack 140 to a ninja 97 but who am i` with only 116 jumps to tell him what he can fly
he`s not into hard swooping or hook turns he`s wingloading is somewhere at 1,47 (on this ninja 97)
but still i consider for a guy who`s not very current (not jumping every weekend) it`s dangerous

am i wrong?
and if i`m not how can i explain it to him?

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

he`s not into hard swooping or hook turns he`s wingloading is somewhere at 1,47 (on this ninja 97)
but still i consider for a guy who`s not very current (not jumping every weekend) it`s dangerous

am i wrong?
and if i`m not how can i explain it to him?

You mention he is not into hard swooping or hook turns.. then why is he going to such a small canopy? I am not familiar with the Ninja, but I assume from the name that this is a HP canopy..

100 jumps in two years on 1 canopy is not a lot.. definately not enough to learn a canopy inside out..

my last canopy I made 600 jumps in 1 year on.. The one before that 800 jumps in 18 months..
My current canopy I'll be on for at least 1000+ probably.. I might not ever downsize after this.. (Velo 103)

I heard one of my friends talk to someone like your friend..wanting to move to fast, and not listening..
His response in the end was "I don't become friends with dead people"
It is extremely harsh to say somethign like that.. but your friend is on a fast track to getting hurt.. he might not, don't get me wrong, and I hope for real that he doesnt.. he's just moving too fast right now.

Sounds familar.

Last year at my DZ.
Jumper with around 800 jumps mostly on big Parafoils starts jumping a smaller stiletto. Then does a first jump in a springo 110 turned to low, ended with broken bones and surgery. Didn't see impact it but it did not sound preety either.

IMHO BAD IDEA

Franco
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

Well, the good news is that he has a friend who cares. That's you.

The bad news is you may need to help teach him to walk again.

You're not wrong, but there's not a lot you can do either.
Best you can do is remember this lesson when YOU start to downsize.

t
It's the year of the Pig.