Velopilot

R.D.S. users

I've got about 20 jumps on my new R.D.S. (on a Velo 96) now and I will never go back to my stock slider. I take it to terminal and get better openings than I did with my old one. My question to other R.D.S users is what techniques have you found to work the fastest for stowing your system? I've tried using the cargo pockets on my shorts but its so small it takes forever to cram in there. Right now the fastest way is to put it down my shirt or jump suit. I've heard of people using belly pouches and I've heard of different ways of folding it up all nice and neat but thats not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the fastest possible way to slam it somewhere so I can get back to focusing on flying. A bigger pocket seems to be my best answer right now. Any ideas?

I have a "full" RDS, but generally only run it that way for meets. I DO, however, take my slider off every single jump. In that mode, I just yank it off and stick it down the front of my jumpsuit. When I jump my full RDS I always have my competition shorts or competition MX pants on; both have RDS pockets (basically just a tandem drogue pouch) sewn to the back of the right leg.

Can you buy just a removable slider without the full RDS system? For me, it isn't really about getting the extra distance or worrying about the drag so much, but I just hate the slider flapping around and haven't liked any stowing systems totally.

Chris,

The RDS is nothing but a couple of loops on the removable slider to attach the d-bag via a spectra loop, that's all.

You can get a removable slider, use it as it is and then if you want you can try the RDS.

Joe Bennett makes what it is IMHO the best sytem on the market.
Memento Audere Semper

Can you buy just a removable slider without the full RDS system? For me, it isn't really about getting the extra distance or worrying about the drag so much, but I just hate the slider flapping around and haven't liked any stowing systems totally.

We make them either way..with the tabs or without...your call.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

i jump full RDS all jumps unless i know i'm getting out below 4k. of course i don't do too much free fall any more, but i have taken mine terminal plenty of times and it works great.

joe and mel make a really nice RDS from what i saw of a few peoples, however i went with a local guy here in the NW and it works great too.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

The connection point is simply girth hitching the 3 lines together. Before I got my system I wanted to see if I could notice the difference in drag with the d-bag removed from the top skin. So I disconnected it from the attachment point then packed it up. I had my buddy hold onto my pilot chute for an IAD then I exited in a sit. That left him with my pilot chute and d-bag in his hand which he then just rolled up and stowed behind the pilot before he exited. It works awesome. Your really notice the absence of the d-bag and pc when your in a dive. I had tabs sewn on the back of my slider then and used an RSL clasp to connect the line from the d-bag to the slider. If your gonna do that then sew up a spandex sheath to go around the RSL clasp so that it doesn't snag anything. It's a pain in the butt trying to unhook it with gloves on and its extremely time consuming trying to unhook your d-bag and pc, then stow it, then stowing your slider. I recommend buying the whole system cause its fast and you can set it up to use the whole system, leave the d-bag connected and just remove the slider, or leave the whole system connected and use it as a normal set up when you want too.

What are you useing for the conection point from the two lines from your slider to the line of your deployment bag.
ps. RSL link,french link ect

first, read all of Chuck Blue's (skymonkeyONE) posts. then give MEL a call. He will set you up. don't use the quick disconnects - Chuck has explained why. for the connection from the lanyard to the bag I use a slink which I think is pretty common.

First jump on my RDS I had the "full" system hooked up. that was a rush. worked perfect - I will only use the removable slider now until the weather warms up....

rm