freeflydemon

Longest recovery arc: Safire1 or safire2?

As I said - mine pack the same. Mirage list the Safire 119 and Stilleto 107 as the same in both my G3 and my G4.

If you don't want to beleive the manufacturer - go ahead.
It may make any kind of gear choice in the future quite difficult though.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

"Safire-129 packs a lot larger than Stiletto-120.
my Safire-129 flies 'larger' than 120'ish canopies"

Uuummmm Deeyyaaaa.... 9 square feet of extra material dude. This may be a far out concept, but this is probably why it packs and fly's bigger. It may not seem like much, but it does make a difference. Besides, comparing a safire to a stilletto is like comparing a Saturn to a Subaru WRX sports car.

Besides, comparing a safire to a stilletto is like comparing a Saturn to a Subaru WRX sports car.

Very true, the Safire II has a more radical taper, about 22% more IIRC.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

But still my Safire-129 packs a lot larger than Stiletto-120. How could one explain that? My feelings tell me my Safire-129 flies 'larger' than 120'ish canopies. However it might happen that I've got used to my specific instance of Safire1 (made in 1999, Spain).

I own a safire1 129(made in Spain) and a safire1 134(made by Presicion). They are almost the same exact size. 5 square feet isn't much but the answer I was given by tech support at Icarus was that each of these two canopies was measured using different methods than they are used to measure the current safire2(which is the widely accepted method that PIA uses for almost everyone else's shit) ANYWAY----------

The reason your stiletto packs up smaller than the safire is the planforms are completely different and the profile of your stiletto is probably shorter than that of the safire.......=less bulk. Profile is not used to calculate square footage of a canopy but it can significantly effect pack volume. My container is made for stiletto120(Micron V306) and my safire1 129 fit fine.

It's not the same calibre canopy as a stiletto so to compare flight characteristics and equating them to size is not really a fair comparison.

Personally, I learned alot on my safire and I never had any of the problems that were associated with them. It's a great wingsuit canopy and I still like to swoop it every now and then. It'll be in my seconed rig for a long time until I go crossbraced if I even go crossbraced at all and then my crossfire will take a backseat.;)

To answer the original posted question, I think it will be hard to find two identically sized safire1 and safire2 canopies, but if you did, I think the recovery arc felt a bit longer on the safire1 129 than either the safire2 119 or 129s I jumped. Just what I think, if you don't like it, sell it. If you like a safire2 when you jump it, buy it.;) Have fun and don't worry about it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ok, while I applaud the OP's question about recovery arc for swooping, I think at 300 jumps, there are other things that are of more importance.

There are lot's of skills to be learned in skydiving and I don't believe that at 300 jumps you have addressed the more important factors than the differences in recovery arc between two canopies. The recovery arc is of no real interest unless you are attempting HP landings"

________________________________________________-
Are you kidding?