BlindBrick

Retrimming a Safire 2

I've got a problem. I have a massive Safire II(loaded at 1.2), which has a correspondingly massive front riser pressure. I've tried going from hard brakes to front risers and it is a minimal improvement. While I don't intend to do any high performance landings for several hundred jumps, I'd like to be able to start practicing them up high, and that's awful hard when my only viable control inputs are toggles, rear risers, and a minimal bit of weight shift ability.

Now I realize that a big chunk of the riser pressure comes form the fact that the canopy is large, but I've also heard that the line trim on a Safire 2 makes it have heavier than normal front riser pressure. Is it possible to have the trim adjusted to lessen this? And oif so, what are the effects ont he canopy's openings?

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Is it possible to have the trim adjusted to lessen this? And oif so, what are the effects ont he canopy's openings?

adjusting trim isn't an easy thing to do. if you adjust the trim, even a little bit, you change everything about the canopy from how much glide you get, riser pressure, toggle pressure, how much flare power you have.

so unless someone has done a lot of test jumps to change the trim of the stock safire 2's then no, you can't change the trim.

and as far as what the effects would be, who knows, canopies are stange animals, a lot of factors to consider that could change the openings, line trim just being on of them.

and i'm not sure what size canopy you jump, but i know i've put a few jumps on a safire 2 139, and even it's riser pressure was heavy (very).

later

And oif so, what are the effects ont he canopy's openings?

You shoud be more concerned about canopy stability in turbulence. In general, as front riser pressure decreases, vulnerability to collapse in turbulence increases.

Mark

I think it's all subjective. My girlfriend put almost 500 jumps on a safire2 139 and thought the front riser pressure was manageable. Then again the canopy BB is talkiing about is 269sqft.

Not that I'm calling you a girl;), I mean how heavy could you thought it had been, you've jumped a VX!

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

ot that I'm calling you a girl, I mean how heavy could you thought it had been, you've jumped a VX!

you know after i thought about this, i have it backwards, i was rather tired last night when i wrote this. your right the front is very manageable, very, i was thinking rears, they are heavy as shit.

as far as the vx goes, right, the pressure is like nothing compared to my old 85:S

my bad

later

Check your steering lines to make sure your toggles aren't set too high. Try a 360-degree front riser turn with, then without, the toggles in your hands. If there is a difference, they are set too high.

Derek

The problem here is that I can't do riser turns. If I grab my dive loop with one hand and that wrist with the other and pull down as hard as I can, I can move the riser less than an inch. And that little bit gives a very negligible turn rate. I don't think I could hold it long enough to do a full 360.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."