bdbrown

Altitude changes

For sure, although it is likely more noticable with smaller wings at higher loadings. I definately notice it with my canopy if I'm somewhere 1000 ft. higher/lower than home.

It's good to find out the elevation before you jump at an unfamiliar DZ, that way you can adjust the visuals and your approach accordingly. As an estimate, I would say every 1000 ft. ASL adds about 100 ft. to my turn altitude.

Canuck

Thanks for the info, thought I was going crazier. Stood up 15 straight landing sweet as can be at Z-Hills then came back to Atlanta and had to slide out the 1st landing...Does seem to come in a little faster here at home....

--------------------------------------------------

A single 1000 foot change in density-altitude over the course of the day isn't all that big of a deal. After all, we're only talking about a 15°F change for that which you'd sort of expect on any given day at a drop zone where the sun is shining. And that 1000 foot swing only changes your airspeed by about 2%.

Over the course of a year or when traveling though, it can be a significant factor.

For instance this morning at Perris it was about 45°F (yeah, I know, it's still warmer than a lot of the country) and in the hottest part of summer it can easily hit 110°F and that represents a swing of about 4500 feet in density-altitude. That's about a 10% change in airspeed, which might not sound like a lot, but it does matter.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Yeah, that's an impressively high DA.

I can only imagine what it must be like for visiting jumpers from drop zones located near sea level.

My -guess- is that you guys usually purchase canopies at least a size or two larger than the folks that live at the beach. At least, that seems like it would be the smart thing to do.
quade -

I'm not sure how much of an issue it would be, but from a physics standpoint, the change in performance won't be linear. A change from 0 MSL to 1000' MSL should, from a physics standpoint, be less of an air density (performance) difference than a change from 5000 to 6000 MSL.

For most of the altitudes that skydivers use most of the time, a 1000 foot gain in density altitude at any altitude should "feel" pretty much the same. The rule of thumb being for each 1000 feet gained an increase of 2% airspeed holds pretty much true at all of these altitudes.

Above 20k feet msl they might notice a divergence in the rule, but rarely do skydivers land at those elevations. ;)
quade -

My -guess- is that you guys usually purchase canopies at least a size or two larger than the folks that live at the beach. At least, that seems like it would be the smart thing to do.

Spot on. Our DZ is 5500ft AMSL with summer DA over 10 000ft.

I'm jumping canopies in the 107 - 109 sq ft range.
If I were at Sea Level, they'd be down about 10 sq ft.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

A little breeze helps, but sometimes there is a little sliding and running. It really depends on the pilot. I have a buddy who jumps a xaos 27 78 up here, and he loads closer to 3.0. His landings are extremely fast, and he runs his landings quite a bit, but he is a very skilled jumper. People jumping the little canopys are not the norm. People jumping cross braced canopys are not the norm either. There's probably only 10 people in the state that activley jump cross braced canopys here in Colorado.