flyhi

Adjustments to Maximize Harness Turns

How important is the adjustment of the leg straps when doing harness turns? What technique is best, tight or loose?

Any other adjustments impact turns (chest strap,...)?

How much harness articulation is best; fully, partially, none?
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

I would argue that having a harness that properly fits is the upmost important, then having an articulated harness.

For me, I prefer to have my leg straps really good and snug, I feel like I have more control over the harness that way and the harness isn't shifing around my legs/butt. I can't tell you that it definately makes a difference, but it *feels* like it does, so that's good enough for me.:P

I also have an extra long chest strap and loose it all the way to the stop after pulling the slider down. That feels like it makes a big difference, to me atleast.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i have my leg straps comfortable, but under canopy i move them down my legs a little bit to make my harness input a little more sensitive/ responsive (to me at least). i open my chest strap up all the way as well. i have full articulation but i don't know how much of a difference it really makes. i think hip articulation does to some extent but chest rings i don't know.
this subject has been talked about before so maybe if you search you'll be able to find more info. i've asked questions about harness input so try searching for that. good luck
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

How important is the adjustment of the leg straps when doing harness turns? What technique is best, tight or loose?

Any other adjustments impact turns (chest strap,...)?

How much harness articulation is best; fully, partially, none?

I find that the type of the harness is a less significant variable than the size of the harness. If it is a tight fit, with very short laterals and short chest strap, you will not be able to get a whole lot out of your harness turns. Loosening the chest strap makes a big difference in this and other parameters of your parachute’s flight characteristics. Further, the use of freefly butt-straps can limit the amount of roll-axis offset that the harness is capable of allowing.

Most important of all is your technique. If you are not really leaning into the turn with your whole body, there will not be much effect. The key is to lift the knee on the outside of the turn, while reaching for the ground with the leg on the inside. Try to lower the shoulder on the inside of the turn, as if you are trying to perform a freefly cartwheel from sit to head down. The goal is to offset the three-rings, which changes the shape of the parachute. The more you change the harness, the more you will see results of your efforts.

Lastly, the type of canopy and wing loading makes a huge difference. Lightly loaded rectangles offer very little in the way of harness control, while heavily loaded ellipticals usually turn very fast with just the harness and no other input.

Play with it up high on a regular basis so that "Body English" becomes a normal method of turning the parachute. In combination with other turning methods, we open up a whole new world of coordinated parachute flight.
+
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

I like my leg straps tight so that they don't move around. And my chest strap loose. When the chest strap is loose then the left side and right side of the harness can move more relative to each other which means wider input range.
lego

I always felt that the one without responded best to harness turns.

That is what I had heard, but I am fully articulated and poor, so can't do the two set-up test. I think Brian's advice might make a bigger difference for me. It sounds like I was not fully committing to the turn.

Also had heard that looser rather than tighter leg straps allowed a greater range of turn. Never could validate that for myself. I think I will go with Brian's suggestion.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Also had heard that looser rather than tighter leg straps allowed a greater range of turn. Never could validate that for myself.

I know of people who shift their legstrap underneath their thigh a little after deployment to enhance leg turns. I normally lift my knees to my chest to get them to sit a little more on my thigh after deployment.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team