matttrudeau

Javelin VS. Javelin Odyssey

Well the cut in laterals in the backpad is a very significant difference. The container itsself seems to be more rounded but that might just be the way my size container is. Good Flaps, hold tight very well, do not know if the current regular Javelin uses the same flaps (I would think they would). As stated above the difference in fabrics, which a Diamond Back fabric on the backpad and inner leg straps and harness is very very nice.

Jonathan

There are several differences. I own both a 1998 XRS and a 2001 pre-PIA Odyssey. The riser covers on the Odyssey are quite a bit longer and won't come unstowed nearly as easy. Also, the bottom flap folds under in it's entirety, as compared to only having a tuck flap on the older versions. Lastly, the cut-in back pad makes the rig really sit flat on your back, negating any "wash" you might have with another rig.

Chuck

Lastly, the cut-in back pad makes the rig really sit flat on your back, negating any "wash" you might have with another rig.

On the other hand, if you've let yourself "go" from your trim, sexy, youth and have developed a bit of extra handling material around where the cut-ins happen to be -- they might just be annoying.

I prefer the "looser fit" of the classic Javelin.

YMMV
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Longer riser covers, Cut in back pad, Oeticker?? clamps for housings, Doulble wide leg straps and funky fabrics. Unless you have an oprah-like affinity for fluctuating weight the odyssey is the way to go if you are ordering new. For the past 3 hundred jumps I cant remember having my rig on until pull time. Its there before exit and at 3500 but inbetween is a blur.

Johnny

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

My Odyssey also has a pc bridal routing cover that goes to the spandex BOC.

Both containers have the same size main and the Odyssey is a bit shorter (smaller reserve) and the main compartment seems a bit thicker giving it a teardrop shape. I thought it looked like a micron. Also the odyssey fits snug against my back so with no slack in the chest strap I have a natural full range of motion arch just like I wasn't even wearing it. With a bit of slack in the strap I can tell I'm arching against the container.

It's a very snug fit, comfortable and easy to forget you have it on in freefall.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken