justdumi

Small Canopies

I guess with the recent unfortunate incident at Skydive Arizona some of us were really caught unaware that there were actually such small canopies being used out there..be it without the intention of landing.

Just to update my mind set a couple of questions here

1) The VX39 is the smallest canopy landed so far right?

2) What size of other prototype test canopies are out there (prototype in terms of size)?

3) What is the smallest canopy size being used and landed regularly by the jumper?

4) Whats the smallest mass produced canopy size out there?

Just do it....Dumi....dammit!!

1) The VX39 is the smallest canopy landed so far right?

Correct

2) What size of other prototype test canopies are out there (prototype in terms of size)?

No idea

3) What is the smallest canopy size being used and landed regularly by the jumper?

I would imagine there are several in the 60 sq ft range, and very few in the 50 sq ft range. (I know only of Bruno's)

No canopies in these sizes are mass produced. Each is a custom order I would imagine. Smallest sizes I think are in the 50 - 60 sq ft range.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

What is the smallest canopy size being used and landed regularly by the jumper?

bruno in dallas regularly jumps a 58 i believe. hooknswoop put hundreds of jumps on a vx60 (that i now jump mostly, although its owned by hookitt). of course i only load it at 2.1:1 :D

Whats the smallest mass produced canopy size out there?

tim told me of a girl in fl who recently bought a xaos 58. which i'm not sure they 'mass' produce it, but its a stock parachute according to their price list.

) The VX39 is the smallest canopy landed so far right?

yea, before that it was a 46.

micheal stevens used to jump a 58 xaos 21 (or maybe it was a 54, i can't remember) but he was a really small guy.

i think precision is the smalles on there stock lists with a 58.

later

Just check the profile

Container: Voodoo
Main Canopy: EXTreme-VX 55 ft² (4.09 lbs/ft²)
Reserve Canopy: PD Reserve 113 ft² (1.99 lbs/ft²)
AAD: No AAD entered.

didn't know he was registered on the forums. i don't read this forum as much.

but since you brought it up...

i think that wingloading on his reserve is a bad choice. but to each his own.

edit: forgot to use the reply /reply buttons

Catfish and Brit at Waller. The canopy spun up but Fish reached up the line set and yanked the twist out and it flew very stable backwards. After some adjustment with the brake settings Fish took it on a CRW jump with Eric Butts (Cobalt 120) and Bryan Moffett (Cobalt 85). That was a really cool jump. I videoed but didn't think to take the wide angle lens off. The video and pics from the CRW jump are no good.

edit: edit to add text

Here's the pictures of the bi-plane canopy being towed by a truck at skydive houston. one of the crew guys jumped the canopy but i don't remember any of the details about the jump. i don't think he landed it bu he may have. the canopy is extremely twitchy and the line attachment points are tied not sewn

How often do you pull straight in approaches on that?;)

Thats really small man. Sorry did i get you correct that that is your profile you detailed?

So that would make you a swooper then? Just your profile under your name didnt say swooping as one of your preferred disciplines.

Thats really small..dude.

Heheh.. No that's not me.

I do have a 60 VX though. It's not my regular canopy and I've only put 10 jumps on it. I've landed it straight in but mostly ... not :). It's really fast and controllable but doesn't surf a long way since it's so loaded up.

It's being flown by Brittany (brits17) right now at 2.1 to 1. It's at 3 to 1 when I'm under it. It's fun, and teaches you how to be smooth but for me it's impractical. I'll put it back in my rig next year every now and then just for kicks.

The person I bought it from jumped it as his primary canopy at 3 to 1 and he flew it quite well.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Here are the real facts about Bruno:

Yes, he regularly flies a VX-55. He has around 200 jumps, give or take 2 or 3. His wingloading has been as low as 4.0 and as high as 4.3. Recently, he's jumped with a couple of guys with Birdman suits and worn weight, bringing him back to a 4.3 wingloading, but currently he's around 4.1. As for any "special waivers" at Skydive Dallas, that's complete BS. The S&TA knows him well. He used to fly a 62 before he got the 55, and our S&TA trusts him on the 55. He doesn't do anything stupid, and he's never had a major skydiving injury on any canopy in his 10-year jump history.

Blondes do have more fun!

since you brought it up...

i think that wingloading on his reserve is a bad choice. but to each his own.

Not his first choice for a reserve - it's what fits in his container. However, he HAS landed it with no problems 3 times before (never cut the 55, this was with previous canopies).

News from www.canopypiloting.com

O.K. here are a few details...

-The VX 39 is the smallest canopy landed (in public)

-The VX 46 was the smallest prototype used prior to the VX 39

-There are many factory prototypes being tested all the time (cannot disclose what types/sizes). These prototypes are not flown in public until the manufactuer wants people to see them. There are several prototypes smaller than the 39 but they are not being landed. The purpose behind landing such small canopies is for R&D, not just to see who can land the smallest parachute. If it were a race I'm sure Luigi (or someone else) would have landed something smaller than the VX 39 already.

-Mike Stevens does regularly fly his Xaos 58

-Brunno does regularly fly a VX 55 but has just upsized and purchased a early production model JVX 86.

HP canopies will become more specialized and smaller HP canopies will become harder to get without the proper credentials. The new line of HP canopies from Icarus NZ will be sold to people we know. Otherwise you might have to fill out an application & order form...

CanopyPiloting.com (W/Forum)

Thanks for the pictures Levin - whats the thinking behind the biplane? Is it intended for a purpose or is it just a "curiosity" prototype?

i don't believe the biplane canopy was intended to be jumped when it was built. I know the line attachment points are tied and not sewn. The canopy was kinda thrown together (years ago) for something new to pull behind a truck on windy days. But one of the Crew dogs at Waller jumped it anyways.

Here are the real facts about Bruno

:D

He has around 200 jumps, give or take 2 or 3.

:D:D I'm pretty sure he's got alot more than that.

As for any "special waivers" at Skydive Dallas, that's complete BS.

:D:D:D Okay misses 24 jump wonder 1 year in the sport. During Skyfest 2002 at Skydive Dallas (before your time) he had just gotten that canopy and yes he did have to sign a seperate waiver to jump it there. In fact that canopy and the waiver was quit a topic of discussion at that boogie.

He doesn't do anything stupid, and he's never had a major skydiving injury

:D:D:D:D Good for him. Very glad to hear it. I hope he never does have a major injury or anybody else for that matter. I do remember him trying to dial that canopy in during the boogie. On one of his jumps he turned low, had to stab out, the canopy collapsed behind him and he busted his butt so hard he almost completely disappeared in the dust cloud he created. All of the landings I watched him make that day (4) made my heart skip a beat and not in a good way. I'm sure 2 years later he has become very skilled with it. Ya know, practice makes perfect.

:D:D:D:D:D So to sum up what you have just said, miss txblondie, there is a guy named Bruno at Skydive Dallas who's been in the sport for 10 years and has 200 jumps (20 jumps a year average) that jumps a VX55 and the S&TA trust him with completely without having signed a seperate waiver.

:D:D:D:D:D:D There's a keyword - blonde! :D

First of all, it's around 200 ON THAT CANOPY. He has over 1500 jumps logged, and more that aren't logged. Second, I am from Skydive Dallas and know him personally. I have seen all but about 5 of his landings on that canopy. I was there when he first got it.
Also, when the canopy collapsed, that was an issue where the pilot chute had NOT collapsed. It folded his canopy, and he still managed to only go down on one knee.
He has since fixed that problem - he has a removable deployment system. On a canopy that small, even the drag of a pilot chute that doesn't collapse could cause a really bad landing with injuries because it folds up so much of the canopy. Now, he doesn't have to worry about it anymore - he removes his slider, and the D-bag and pilot chute are connected to it, so the whole deployment system comes off and the canopy flies much better.
You should look a little closer at my profile and previous threads; being that I'm from the same dropzone and have a close relationship with Bruno, I think I am pretty well aware of what he has, can, and will do on that canopy. Certainly better than you.

Seriously, both of you please take your pissing match / blonde defends her bf to the talk back forum. I am getting tired of coming in here to read and learn and share information on swooping only to see this shit and others are too. If you can't play nice don't. FYI blondie, let your bf handle his own posting, it makes him look far more credible.

~Chachi

Not his first choice for a reserve - it's what fits in his container.

then why the hell did he get it? i remember a discussion like this several years ago on rec.skydiving. There was a very experienced jumper that posted alot. He had a small crossbraced canopy (<100 square feet) and a big fat reserve and a custom made rig for the combination of canopies. I am pretty sure that Jump Shack can make a rig for any combination of canopies.

However, he HAS landed it with no problems 3 times before (never cut the 55, this was with previous canopies).

I'd hope one of those landings was for a demo jump on that size reserve before he bought it. For a reserve with that kind of wingloading, I think Skydive Dallas is a great place to be jumping it since the entire country side is wide open and it's almost always windy. But what about when he goes somewhere else. At Skydive East Texas or Skydive Houston a reserve with that wingloading would be absolutely retarded no matter how bad ass you are. At that wingloading the potential for a reserve malfunction is a lot greater. And would likely be the same malfunction he would be chopping away from. I hope that he has a habit of pulling high.

Not sure about other dz's; I understand it's a high wingloading for a reserve; but you'll have to talk to him about it, because all I know is that he's landing it with no problems.
Canopy control is not so much my forte, obviously, since I don't have a lot of jumps. I only know so much, and I haven't had a reserve ride yet (knock on wood), so I'm not sure about their flight.