shadowswoop97

Is there a difference in fornt riser pressure between cross-braces

Is there a difference in front riser pressure between a Xaos, VX, or Velocity. Does a particular crossed brace of those three have a higher risk of collapsing in regular or low speed flight due to the front riser pressure than another. Such as the incident in st. Louis under a Xaos

Is there a difference in front riser pressure between a Xaos, VX, or Velocity. Does a particular crossed brace of those three have a higher risk of collapsing in regular or low speed flight due to the front riser pressure than another. Such as the incident in st. Louis under a Xaos

your first question i can answer for sure.

the vx is the heaviest out of all of them, hands down.

then the xaos 27
then the velo's

i can't be sure on the xaos 21's because i've never jumped one of those.

later

Does a particular crossed brace of those three have a higher risk of collapsing

AFAIK, the canopy that is trimmed the flattest, is more sensitive to collapse than a canopy that is trimmed a little steeper.

So, theoretically, the Velocity would be less sensitive to collapse than the VX/Xaos.

I'm not sure about VX versus Xaos, but I would completely trust those two canopies just the same.

go under incidents and then deaths . It was noted on the 27th. A Xaos wingloaded at 2.1 was coming in on its final approach, and the left side of the parachute folded under causing it to collapse and spiral to the ground. The approach was straight in, and there were no radical or extreme imputs. Not sure what factors play a part in the collapsing. We lost a great friend, and don't know why, Shadow

your first question i can answer for sure.

the vx is the heaviest out of all of them, hands down.

then the xaos 27
then the velo's

i can't be sure on the xaos 21's because i've never jumped one of those.

My Xaos 27-79 has much lighter front riser pressure than either the velo or vx! My 21-88 is a little higher and my 21-85 is about the same as my 79.

I have some experience on an FX109 and Xaos21-108. The Xaos riser pressure was much lighter (apparently one of the advantages of non cascaded lines).
The Velocity 111 seems lighter than both of these and the 103 is definately lighter.

The only VX i have jumped is a 104 and was very heavy.
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

I have recently ventured into the world of Cross-Braced canopies with the Xaos. As for the Riser pressure, I did not notice much difference between that and the Stiletto. HOWEVER, there is a bunch of difference in the Toggle pressure. Seems the Xaos has a much heavier toggle pressure than my Stiletto. This might be an obvious difference by some, but I don't understand it.
Unknowing attempting to take out all 4 wheeled vehicles remotely close to the landing area!

Could this possibly have to do with wing-loading and speed at with which you're using toggles to flare? If you've got a higher loading on your x-brace, you're going faster than your Stiletto...this would lend itself to causing more force necessary to deflect the wing as well as having to counteract the increased lift due to that speed.
On a related note, front risers are impossible to hold down at some point when extending a dive...eventually you'll have so much speed, causing so much lift that your body strength is less than the force of lift.

Just some speculation on observations...perhaps someone can drop some real fizzix. :>

-R

I have recently ventured into the world of Cross-Braced canopies with the Xaos. As for the Riser pressure, I did not notice much difference between that and the Stiletto. HOWEVER, there is a bunch of difference in the Toggle pressure. Seems the Xaos has a much heavier toggle pressure than my Stiletto. This might be an obvious difference by some, but I don't understand it.

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

Right, but why do you think the steeper trim makes it less susceptible to collapses? If you take two canopies of the exact same size and exact same planform, but trim them differently, they will have different glide rates. The steeper one will be faster.

Generally when you have more speed you seem less susceptible to gusts and funky winds.

Also, the canopy is highly pressurized as the pressure on the front cell-openings is higher than say, at a canopy flying near it's stall point..here is more RAM in your AIR :> When your wing is stiffer, you're less likely to have it go limp and put you into an uncontrollable state. This is also why we teach people to fly at full speed, rather than being braked in gusty situations.

Perhaps someone can articulate better than I would, why having a higher forward speed seems to make you less affected my squirrely winds. It's a feeling akin to "slicing through it", you spend less time in the pocket of "bad air".

-R

Does a particular crossed brace of those three have a higher risk of collapsing

AFAIK, the canopy that is trimmed the flattest, is more sensitive to collapse than a canopy that is trimmed a little steeper.

So, theoretically, the Velocity would be less sensitive to collapse than the VX/Xaos.

I'm not sure about VX versus Xaos, but I would completely trust those two canopies just the same.

Generally when you have more speed you seem less susceptible to gusts and funky winds.

Radically changing the shape of your airfoil in those conditions isn't truely wise, though. A moderately agressive front riser manuever combined with a weird gust or rotar could spell disaster.

You know when I feel most stable under canopy in weird winds? When I'm doing a tandem, all of that mass moving through the air. Think of it like a 727 coming in to land compared to a 182.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Absolutely. If you were to hit some really bad chop at a higher speed, you may make it through, or, you may screw yourself faster than you can get yourself out of it.

But also, a 727 is a LOT faster than a 182 on landing..but yay for inertia!

-R

Radically changing the shape of your airfoil in those conditions isn't truely wise, though. A moderately agressive front riser manuever combined with a weird gust or rotar could spell disaster.

You know when I feel most stable under canopy in weird winds? When I'm doing a tandem, all of that mass moving through the air. Think of it like a 727 coming in to land compared to a 182.