namdrib

Anyone have thoughts of Xaos21 loaded at 2.4:1

I am leaning towards buying a Xaos 21 cell. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with this canopy loaded at 2.4:1. I am currently flying a Stiletto 97 loaded at 2:1 and had an opportunity to jump a friends Xaos 78 and I absolutely fell in love with the canopy. Any info would be very appreciated. Thanks.
Unknowing attempting to take out all 4 wheeled vehicles remotely close to the landing area!

First off- I have NO experience on a XAOS. But, I do have some experience with Stilettos and non-crossbraced canopies. I now fly a Velocity 96 loaded at about 2.14 I will say this: You will be so much happier on a crossbraced canopy loaded at those numbers. I do think that going to a crossbraced canopy loaded at 2.1 would be a better move than going to one loaded at 2.4. A crossbraced canopy at 2.1 will be much different than a non-crossbraced at the same loading. But you can make your own call there. Ask around though. I would imagine that most would say that 2.1 to 2.2 is closer to the "sweet spot" on a XAOS 21. I could be wrong though.

I guess my point is- A xaos 21 at a 2.0plus wingloading is a much better choice than a Stiletto at that number. Done right, you will get much more out of your swoop without being as aggressive. Don't get me wrong- a crossbraced canopy is a step up and should be considered as such, but it should allow you to learn safer, smoother techniques and increase your swoop. Mis-treated or not respected, and it will bite you.

THIS IS MY OPINION. I am sure some will disagree with my loading numbers and my Stiletto/non-crossbraced comments, but like I said, it is just my opinion. Just figured I would offer my input.

It's a bit different but I used to fly a XAOS 27 cell (88) at about 2.4 or so. I feel the 27 cells handle higher loadings better, than a 21 cell, but don't relly get too much more performance out of that loading.

The 88 was fun as hell, my 93 performed better, and my 98 while feeling a bunch slower get's amazing lift and distance.

At my heaviest (I've been down sizing my body as well as upsizing my canopies) the 88 was about 2.44 loading. I have the most fun on my 93 at about 2.15, and best distance on the 98 at 2.04
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I don't think I would do it. It can handle it, but I think the sweetspot is around 2, 2.1. They swoop great, and shut down way better than your Stiletto at that loading.

If you want to load up from there, you have the option, but you can't lighten from 2.4 to 2.1.

----------------------------
bzzzz

I jump a Xaos21 at 2.4. It opens better than any canopy I have ever jumped. It has loads of lift. (I recently did a demo and landed uphill and ended up about 6 feet higher than where I started my swoop) Having said that thought, I am loosing some weight to get my wing loading back down to 2.2, to give me more range and to help get back from those long tandem spots with out having to work so hard.

I load my Xaos 21 78sqft at 2.2 and its plenty for me.

Actually need to stay more current with this Canopy. Very good Flare and openings are always good with the 21. I like it . Ive jumped both the 21 and 27 packed them the same and just always seemed to get smoother openings with the 21.

Good Canopy you can really fly and have fun with. You wont be disappointed.
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

I am presently jumping a 104 at 2.4, The canopy flies and handles great, I also own a 120 that I load at 2.2. I get longer swoops out of the 120. But I love the speed and the way the 104 will stay in a dive.
Most people will probably recommend trying to stay around 2.2 to 2.3 on a 21 Xaos.
Still here after all these years

Clayton

Well, I managed to get in 8 jumps with the Xaos loaded at 2.4:1 and I absolutely fell in love with this canopy. Openings were fantastic no matter how I packed it. Thanks to everyone that gave input. All of you have very valid points and helped me out once again.
Unknowing attempting to take out all 4 wheeled vehicles remotely close to the landing area!