dhracer33

longer risers effects on performance

I was just wondering what the different effects longer risers have on a canopy. Possibly thinking about changing mine and wanted to get some info on it first. I am just getting into the different aspects of high performance canopy flight and am trying to gather as much information as possible.

Most parachutes are designed to fly with 21 to 22 inch risers. If the risers are longer than that, you need to let the brakes out. If they are shorter, you need to shorten the brakes.

Longer risers may increase the riser pressure, and it usually extends the recovery arc. As with all things relating to complex systems, the results are somewhat unpredictable due to the number of variables.
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

If the risers are longer than that, you need to let the brakes out. If they are shorter, you need to shorten the brakes.

I thought that risers had the same length between the end and the guide ring and was longer or shorter between the guidering and 3 ring end, meaning you might need longer or shorter arms, but the length excess brake line would remain the same.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome