lister55

Demo Prices

ok. I have contacted two companies about getting a demo. Are the prices on demos going up or something. Both places want over $60 for a weekend. I realize that there is a lot in sending out a demo including what has to be done when it gets back. But these prices are just getting too high. Anyone else with these experiences. Im not sure if I want to mention compay names yet.

Depending on how much time you have and your location to other dropzones, I'd look around and see if any of the companies are going to be travelling to your local area DZs, doing "Demo weekends". I got a chance to jump some VXs last year that Iprobably wouldnt have motivated enough to request as demos, 'cause the good people at Icarus came out to our DZ and brought all kinds of canopies to try out.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

Be happy they are even contacting you for a demo. I have one manuf who won't even respond to me about getting a demo. I thought 60-65 was the going rate.

Actually I am having the same result with one of the companies. I was quoting thier demo price from thier web page.

Maybe PD's prices went up, but I'm pretty sure they still offer demos for 2 weeks. Dunno about the others though.

PD is 2 wks for $30 and Anabel will get back to you FAST! B|
http://www.performancedesigns.com/demorequest.asp

Icarus is $65 - OUCH. They say it's for 1 week, but they are letting me keep mine for 2 weeks - 3 if I need it (due to weather). They are not (from what I hear) as good with the customer service as PD though. Took them 5 days to get back to me, which apparently, is pretty fast for them. :S

Those are the only 2 companies I have experience with thus far.

Performance Designs standard policy it that you are able to keep the canopy for two week, however due to the overwhelming request received for the Katana they have deviated from the normal two weeks to one. Once they waiting list for the Katana goes down they will be sending the Katana out for two weeks just like the rest of their demos.

Not anymore they aren't, here's an exerpt from a PM someone sent me regarding them trying to get a demo from Big Air:

Big Air has had 4 of their demo canopies stolen. One of which was the 150. So now I can not demo it. I can put a "down payment" on one and if I do not like it get a "full" refund.

Granted the jumper didn't say how much the "down payment" was, but they decided against even demoing from Big Air.

I know Brian cruises the forums a bit, so maybe he can elaborate or explain.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Maybe they don't have the 150 for your friend, but I just shipped back a Samurai 105 3 days ago, after having it to demo for two weekends. They may just not have one right now, and not be in the mood to build/pay for another 150 for demo purposes. Like PD, they take a credit card for the value of the canopy when they ship you a demo, but that doesn't help if someone steals the canopy under other circumstances.

Ok. I am the guy trying to demo this 150. What I was told is that they had several demos stolen somehow. Maybe they were taken at boogies or stolen from people who were demoing them. I dont know, that part is not my problem. However, I was told because of the theft that they do not have a 150 available for demo. But the 135 was offered to me. Not doing that because a I value bones that are intact. The other "alternative" I had was to order a canopy in the 150, give a down payment on the order and if I dont like it, I can send it back.

Ok, I am demoing two other canopies. So why would I do this. I have never flown the Samurai and I will not purchase one without flying it first. No matter how good of a canopy anyone says it is.

You are totally welcome to come up to Skydive Orange in VA and try my Samurai 150 at any time. Just give me a little advance warning. Otherwise, I might be visiting Cedartown within the next 6 weeks, and you'd be welcome to put a few jumps on it there, if ya wanted.

Mine does dive more than a stock one because of a slight trim mod, but it'll certainly give you an idea of what it will be like to fly your very own Samurai.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

There is still a company that will let you demo for free. Yep FREE, or at least it was last time I checked. It is Atair aerospace, the guys that make the cobalt canopy. Only flown it once, but I really liked it. It is an elliptical, so you need a little bit of canopy skills but hell,its free, except for shipping of course. check em' out.;)

Last time I delt with Atair they had me pay shipping both ways. Still came out to be almost the same as what PD was charging.

I just gave my demo to snowflake and he paid shipping back to atair. ;) Worked out well for us both. :D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I could kick you in the nuts for free, but that doesn't make it a good deal.

---------------------------------------------------------
True, but you still have to pay return shipping from PD. So it my not be completely free, but cheaper than most.

There is still a company that will let you demo for free. Yep FREE, or at least it was last time I checked. It is Atair aerospace, the guys that make the cobalt canopy.

Or not...They flat out refused to send me a demo 170...either to Eloy or over here...Oh well, I just went and got a XFire2 instead B|
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

i'm jumping a nítro 108 for the last 200 jumps....
it dives well, but riser pressure gets really hard on longer dives.... in brakes amazing long glides....
maybe you have to change your packing habits (don't roll the nose too much)....
and really nice to flare even with lower wingloads.....
ENJOY IT....
the new hiper canopy BLADE has a lower profile and goes faster.... ;)

Life's NOT a journey!

Yeah, I am going through this with Icarus right now. It seems like it takes them about a week to answer emails. :( However, Beezy from HIPER is always available. You know, customer service says a lot about a company......I will be demoing the Nitro this weekend.

Yeah, I am going through this with Icarus right now. It seems like it takes them about a week to answer emails. :( However, Beezy from HIPER is always available. You know, customer service says a lot about a company......I will be demoing the Nitro this weekend.

Beezy is awesome! I demoed a blade 108 for two weeks. Beezy makes everyone happy! :)
my power is beyond your understanding.