lister55

Stilletto opening hard

Are there any mods for the stilletto that will help slow down the openings? The openings are ok.....so long as me and one other packer pack it. But leave it for someone else and you never know what you are going to get. I have already sent it in the factory to have it checked out. They claim no problem, but they arent the ones with whiplash either. I pack it like they say and use the correct rubber bands and stow sizes and the correct pilot chute.

I was jumping a borrowed Stilletto 170 like that for a while. I found that if I didn't roll the ever living shit out of the tail I would have a quick opening. It was weird, it didn't really hurt, it was just quick. Quick enough that the canopy would ripple like a video of a BASE opening, but it wouldn't hurt.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

On my stiletto I roll the shit out of the nose (4 and 4) and tuck the center cell way in and bring the slider out about 4 inches in front of the rolled up nose. Next, I roll the tail alot from top to bottom. Then of course I treat it real nice on the ground so my work doesn't come undone. This seems to help.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

On my stiletto I roll the shit out of the nose (4 and 4) and tuck the center cell way in and bring the slider out about 4 inches in front of the rolled up nose. Next, I roll the tail alot from top to bottom. Then of course I treat it real nice on the ground so my work doesn't come undone. This seems to help.

I have tried all of that, and it actually made it worse. Not to mention rolling the nose was giving me way off heading openings. All though I will take that over the slammer openings. My best method I have found is to flake a little, try not to flake it too much, just enough to keep the lines straight and clear. Then wrap the tail around stuff the nose way up inside and wrap the crap out of the tail. Less has been better in findings. This is also what the manufaturer recomends.

Are there any mods for the stilletto that will help slow down the openings? The openings are ok.....so long as me and one other packer pack it. But leave it for someone else and you never know what you are going to get. I have already sent it in the factory to have it checked out. They claim no problem, but they arent the ones with whiplash either. I pack it like they say and use the correct rubber bands and stow sizes and the correct pilot chute.

Mine was like this from new. Still the same after a re-line. Eventually I sent it back to PD and they replaced the slider. Now it's just fine.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I've found with all the Stiletto's i've owned in my career (150,135,120,97), no matter how much I think I knew about packing, and how much I applied other techniques from other manufacturers, I've found that if you listen to PD and do what they say you'll be fine.

Use rubber bands in stead of tubies (took me a long time to break that habit)

DON'T roll the nose, just let it hang or center it inline with the lines.

Wrappy the tail, but not too much.

Reliner within specifications. Keep it spectramation, don't vectronize.

Don't tea bag your canopy at night.

I've had a lot of bad luck with my Stiletto 150. I'm in the same boat as you are except only SkyGod777 can pack it to open worth a shit. If I or anyone else packs it, it is horrible and unpredictable. Kinda like the lottery :) Back in '99 or so I had a 135 and it opened like a dream. 700 to 1000 foot snivels every time. I seem to think that somewhere in PDs "continuing improvements" to the Stiletto they actually sped up the openings. Now to the point that they sometimes "crack the whip" so-to-speak.

After several hard openings in a row last season I emailed them and had them send me trim measurements. It wasn't too far off but I sent it back anyway. When they called me they said it wasnt out that far and I asked if that could cause the hard openings they said "possibly" so I had them do the re-line. The day I go to the DZ with the new reline a buddy was putting a few jumps on his 135 with new lines and blows it up! I mean it rips two holes in the bottom skin that are about 3 foot long along the rib seams.

My first couple of jumps weren't too bad. Then it got back into it's old habbits again. So I had them send me a bigger slider and it worked for a while, in fact, a couple of the openings on the new slider were reminiscent of my old 135! But alas, it was not meant to be. It still opens hard from time to time. So I got tired of it and ordered a Crossfire2 with it's openings that remind me of the Stiletto's of old.

Scott
I read somewhere to learn is to remember and I've learned we all forgot

I bought my stiletto 170 early 03 brand new. After the 3rd jump I started getting whacked hard. this continued for the next 20 jumps or so. I am wingloading at 1.68
I was very disheartened and was missing the openings of my spectre.
I switched the slider from the spectre to the stiletto (it was 2 inches larger front to back) next 300 jumps perfect no problems.
I have a big bonehead setup and was almost ready to call it quits on the stiletto 170. I am glad I didn't, I love this canopy.
try changing to a bigger slider
Oke
The ground always, remembers where you are!

After 5 straight hard openings I started split rolling the nose and have had softer opening and all have pretty much been on heading. Thats just my 5 cents

Chad,

I dont know how long you have been jumping but when the Stiletto was first realeased it was an awesome opener. In fact, it sniveled so much that some non-camera flyers B| were starting to bitch about the 1000 to 1200 foot openings they were getting. I for one bought my first Stiletto 135 on the premise of awesomely long openings and I got them! A few years later I had gained some weight and sold the 135 and bought the 150 that I have now. It has been pretty unpredictable with the openings since day one. They are survivable but after awhile they just started to hurt and I hated guessing what my opening might be every time I pitched the pilotchute. Especially with a camera helmet on. Packing has had pretty much no effect on the openings. So after 3 years of being slammed whenever the canopy felt like slamming me I gave up. I'm now the proud owner of a Crossfire2 119! Hopefully, it will be here this week or next!!!

Scott
I read somewhere to learn is to remember and I've learned we all forgot

I know I'm getting into this a little late, but I just wanted to add something. I notice many jumpers getting up to cock the pc after laying the canopy down. They don't realize that when they get back down on the canopy they are unrolling the tail when they deflate the canopy. If you don't already, keep control of the tail-roll until the canopy is deflated.

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

So after 3 years of being slammed whenever the canopy felt like slamming me I gave up. I'm now the proud owner of a Crossfire2 119!

Hear Hear!
I did the same thing last year! Got rid of my ST-135 and got me a XF2 119. No regrets, whatsoever!
You've got some excellent openings comin' your way!!

Enjoy!!

...they are unrolling the tail...

I understand that rolling the tail (or nose, or both) can lengthen the time from pilot chute throw to canopy fully open. The longer the time, the lower the average "G" force.

It's not the average "G" force that hurts, though. It's the peak. How does rolling stuff reduce the peak "G" force?

Mark

All I'm getting at is that if the tail happens to come unrolled because it wasn't properly controlled, a very snappy opening can result due to the nose being exposed.

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

Hi!

I don´t junp the stiletto till now. But i will jump one! hthe size will be 135.But some of my friends jump one an they all roll the nose anthe zells.(4/4 and put it in the middle) they say it is the best way for a slow opening.I tested some different ways to pack with my Sabre150 and have to say that is true.
Last weekend i decide not to roll the cells and i have an very hard opening.The second time i roll all what i can roll and had a very easy opening.So i think too that that i the best way to pack for me.

Always blue sky Flip2
http://www.klick-game.de/5640-Jahre.html

I'm not sure I understand. The nose gets exposed as soon as the tail is unrolled, so what does it matter if that's sooner or later?

My own experience: nice openings without rolling nose or tail on my FX99 and VX93 -- and my Sabre 135.

Mark

PD's intructions say NOT to roll the nose on a Stiletto. So I don't.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

When a canopy is opening fractions of seconds count. The longer you keep the nose out of the airflow, the longer (slower)the opening sequence will be, even if it is 1/10th of a second. A sloppy "tail-roll" can allow the nose to become exposed sooner if not almost imediately. My experience with stilletos led me to believe that the openings are all about the tail roll and the slider. Rolling the nose will cause more harm than good. The tail is where you slow the opening. If openings continue to be snappy, get an oversized slider.

The longer you keep the nose out of the airflow, the longer (slower)the opening sequence will be, even if it is 1/10th of a second.

Is the peak "G" force lower when the opening sequence is longer? Or are you just moving the peak to a later time? Why does moving the peak force to a later time make for a softer opening?

Mark

***Why does moving the peak force to a later time make for a softer opening?

I really couldn't get in to the science of it, but basically once the canopy is out of the bag you begin to decelerate. The longer you can keep the nose from catching air, the slower you will be going when inflation occurs. Hence, when the canopy finally does snap open, you will feel less force due to slower speed.

This post isn't too disagree with you because certain little tricks have made a difference in the openings but I've been slammed so few times on a stilleto. I do believe that a hard opening stiletto is canopy specific.

I've had great openings on all of my stilettos. I really think that hard opening stilettos aren't the usual. Most of them seem to open just fine. When a company builds something where every single part moves, it's a challenge to get the same characterstics out of every canopy.

I've packed every one of my canopies multiple ways. Wrapping the tail not wrapping the tail. Nose spread wide open with the tail stacked in back.. etc.. and the darn things opened just fine.

Out of 4 stilettos a jumper in Byron uses, one requires rolling the nose. The rest are fine. I've borrowed his unruly one quite a few times and sure enough it's brisk.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto