yurbai

control lines

I don't have pictures but can tell you what to look for. If your control lines are too short, the tail will be deflected in full flight. If your control lines are too long, you will not be able to flare fully. This must be determined up high so that you know to take a wrap on landing if necessary. If your control lines are the correct length, the tail will not be deflected in full flight and you will be able to shut the canopy down. A picture really cannot do this justice because different canopies and different pilots will have varying amounts of slack to fit their style. High performance pilots have more slack than average so that the tail will not deflect even with heavy front riser input.B|

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

Ok. here is the deal. mine were short, so I extended them about 2-3 inchis, so now my flair starts about ear level. I only did one jump on the extended lines and didn't have a problem at the lending, I think that I can shut it down. The question is: is it ok for flair to start at the ear level??

Thanks.

It is kinda hard to see, but here is a picture where you can see that there is slack in the control lines as he is on the rear risers.

Pro swoopers tend to run a little more slack in the control lines than an average guy, but that is because they don't want the control lines to be tight when using front risers or giving rear riser input. If you find that when you pull down a front riser and the caopy buffets, you probably need to lengthen your control lines a bit.

To answer your question about the flare starting at your ears- I think that sounds a bit excessive for where input from the control lines starts, unless you land on rear risers and want that. But looking at your profile, at 85 jumps on a 120 loaded at 1.6, I think you are pushing it a bit too early. You even have swooping listed as one of your disciplines of choice.

Now, I don't know you or your abilities, but I am just stating my opinion based on what I have seen and to my experience. My advice would be to talk to someone with canopy piloting experience on your DZ and ask for their input. I didn't load a cnopy at 1.6 until I had more than 1,000 jumps. I know people are doing it way sooner than that, but 1.6 at 85 jumps is too much too soon, in my opinion.

Ask people at your DZ and stay safe! :)

We have found that approximately 3 inches of slack is about right for most people. The design parmeters are as follows:

Short enough to have full toggle authority so as to provide access to the stall for full stopping power on no-wind days.

Long enough so that there will not be any tail input duing reasonable front riser application.

The exact amount of slack varies with the length of the control range of the parachute in question. The shorter the control range, the greater the amount of slack in order to be at the median of the range.
+
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com