ParaShoot

Electronic device for swoooping?

I think the PST uses video cameras.

If you go to Radio Shack (here in the US) you can buy electric eyes very cheaply and rig them to a buzzer (bzzzzz. yes he broke the plane with his foot, and rely on video for disputes). It might be sort of hard to level and make secure (especially if someone takes out the eye) but it woudl serve your purpose..

If you were really cool you could use a laser and a smke machine to make it visible. the laers could go to a cheap detector (also available at radio shack and electronics sotres to ring a buzzer.)

good luck;)
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

we designed and quoted a system for jim slaton two years ago. it used 3 laser sensors coupled with a computer to calculate speeds. the first two sensor were to determine if you made the first gate and your speed entering the first gate. the third was to sense if you made the last gate and your avarage speed through the course.

the problem voiced: basically the cost about $10k.
video cameras were the low cost solution.

eventually a sensor system will be necessary as events get more tv time. a sensor based system could display speeds and missed gates immediately on a score board or overlayed on live video...

sincerely,

dan<><>
www.extremefly.com
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

another possible solution (but not cheap) is issuing a rfiq tag to each competitor and putting it on their foot. antennas at each gate would sense them and link to a computer...

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>

I just got all components together to make a sophisticated system. Laser eyes are not the best option due to the difficult adjustment of the small beam and the wire to the other side. Therefore I got a light sensor with a mirror with a range of 20 mtr (60 ft). The mirror is about 4 inches and has to catch a part of the beam of almost 1 foot, so accurate enough as entry gate. A horn and a light will go for an adjustable time (± 3 sec.). With a push button it can be resetted manually.

I'll try to test it tomorrow because Sunday I leave for the worldmeet in Gap France. If the entry gate will work I'll make a second and connect them to get the speed.

But I'm sure there's a similar system somewhere for other sports. Skiing, skating, running, etc.

Henny

we didnt want to mount anything to the actual windblade gates. the windblade gates must remain safe to hit. the idea was to mount a laser and sensor on an industrial tripod and locate some distance say 50'' to the side of the gate for safety. line up so that the beam shoots across the gate at the correct height to be sensed (i.e. level with the top of the flags) on the other side 50' out of the way would be another tripod with a retro reflector.

With 3 pairs of such tripods you can measure: speed at first gate and overal speed and of course verify that the jumper made the gates.

the system due to how big an area it is set up on would be wirelessly linked between tripods and the score computer instead of hard wired.

sincerely,

dan<><>
www.extremefly.com
Daniel Preston <><>

That's the kind of system I'm looking for. Unfortunately this system for skiing has no sensor for entry gate. It's a switch.

I'm assuming that you could replace the sensor with a switch... but it's been a while since I've used the ski hardware. I'm a bit out of date. It'd be worth a call to a ski supplier, I'd think...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.