Melanie1

FLARING

Hi Melanie

You posted this question in the wrong forum. It either belongs in the "Swooping and Canopy Control" forum, or it belongs in the "Safety and Training" forum. But maybe one of our monitors will relocate it for you.

As far as your flare technique is concerned, this is something that I doubt we can really help you with here mainly because we can't see what you may or may not be doing right. If your profile is up to date. You've only got six jumps under your belt and practice will only allow you to get better. It's also possible that you're using an old F-111 style student canopy which has a poor flare to begin with. So don't beat yourself up too much. Get your instructors to help you with your landings and if possible, see if anyone can video tape you. But here's a couple of things to remember as well:

1) A good landing is planned well ahead of time. What I mean by this is, adjust your landing pattern depending upon potential traffic conflicts and weather conditions (usually the winds). If you've stayed ahead of your canopy (a common aviation term ... you know stay ahead of the airplane) chances are that you'll be ready when you're on final and you won't be surprised by anything.

2) Don't fixate on the ground just before flare time. You sort of need to watch the horizon or at least watch the ground ahead of you.

3) Be subtle with your toggle inputs. Try not to stab your landings. You can get away with stabbing a landing when using a student canopy, but this technique can get you into trouble when you start flying faster canopies.

4) When in doubt, be ready to PLF.

Once again, don't beat yourself up too much right now. Just get out there, do some jumps, be safe and have some fun.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Steve,

Wow! Thanks for your thorough input. I see that you have many jumps! It makes a lot of sense and i am DEFINITELY going to try it this weekend. I am doing my 2nd level PFF. And i can't believe how amazing free fall is! Now i know what skydiving is all about!
This is my first time on forum and i realized after i posted one that it was in the wrong spot...oops!

Have a great day! And thanks again!

Melanie;)

All people who live, die.
But, not all people who die have lived.

Hi Mel
some good pointers there from steve....The only thing I can offer is ' its all about feeling' if you know what I mean..for me every landing is different and all varies on weather Temp etc..you have too tune in to the canopy and remember be safe have fun..
good luck and TC

If you've only a couple of jumps your probably on a canpy that is vertually impossible to land gracefully. (an old crappy F-111). As you progress you will get to jump nicer canopies that are easier to land.

Out of my early student jumps I think I only stood about 2 up untill I got onto ZP - then I was fine.

Cannopies are a lot like cars. When your a student they give you a milk float to jump. It doesnt fly great and you certantly dont look too cool in it, but then you're gonna find it hard to kill yourself - (how dificult would it be to kill yourself in a milk float? - you could right, but you'd have to do something dumb ass.)

The point is your on a crappy cannopy now cos you will find it hard to kill youself on it. Some of the features which make it difficult to kill yourself on it also make it difficult to land gracefully. When you start jumping nicer canopies the landings will become instantly a lot easier.

Dont worry about your landings too much too soon - it may not all be down to you.

It is a poor workman that blames his tools.

There are a couple of issues at work here and while the canopy itself -may- be a bit of the problem my guess is that she just doesn't quite have all the skills yet.

Sight picture, timing, feel, confidence . . .

That last one is a biggie. Some people just plain "give up" about half-way through what should be a good landing. If you give up on the landing, it'll give up on you too.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Most any canopy can be landed gracefully...it just takes a lot more experience, skill and luck to land some as opposed to others.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

that seems correct to me, but some canopies need loads of experience to get some flare...
the best IMO is to get confident with a canopy and tehn try to get the best out of it... and then continue on another one...
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

Thanks for your comments.:)I'd rather take the nearly impossible to kill yourself canopy, than worry about how it lands!
Hopefully by next year i will be more experienced for a better canopy.

Mel
All people who live, die.
But, not all people who die have lived.

Steve,

Wow! Thanks for your thorough input. I see that you have many jumps! It makes a lot of sense and i am DEFINITELY going to try it this weekend. I am doing my 2nd level PFF.

You should direct your questions to your instructors, not some online forum where people may not have much more experience than you. Additionally, if you want to try a new approach that you read about here, you should clear it with your instructors before doing so. I'm not trying to come across as a hardass, but I've watched some of my students give bad advice to other students of mine, and I've seen bad advice given out here before.

Good luck, have fun, and listen to your instructors. ;-)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

An F-111 is flared smoothly beginning at about 15 feet above the ground. With the proper timing, you should reach full toggle extension (flare) at the same time you touch down. If you are having trouble completing a full flare, perhaps the problem lies with you control line length? Are you able to stall your canopy at altitude? If not, have your Rigger or instructor take a small amount (1 inch or so) out of the length of the control lines. Repeat until you are able to get a smooth, predictable stall out of your canopy when you have the toggles at full extension. Practice this at altitude, and practice it often. I have a few jumps over the past decade or two, and I practice stalls very often. Last, but not least is: Know your canopy, and believe what it tells you. Learn it's language.

Actually I have had more accurate standups as an A-lic 12 years ago than now(not too much accuracy jumps now & big ass canopies then):)accuracry now is: fight hard and nail it=POW! it OR careful, careful,......crap! close but, no cigar 5ft.:|
-Grant