skydive84

Wing loading levels

your profile states 230 jumps on a lightly loaded canopy.

there is no point to considering a velocity, you are not ready to jump that canopy in the wingload range it shines at. as far as a stilletto you could probably get away with jumping one at the same wingloading you are on now, but i would not recommend it.

there are more forgiving ellipticals to learn on, especially as your experience is jumping a 7 cell.

if you are set on not waiting and transitioning to an elliptical now, go with the advice of your local instructors, and look at canopies such as the cobalt, safire2 and sabre 2. these are forgiving ellipticals ideal for transition from a square. keep the wingload similar to what you are flying now and follow the canopy manufacturers recommendations.

sincerely,

dan<><>
atair aerodynamics
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

Im not looking to get rid of my current canopy anytime soon. Although i will probably look at buying a stiletto in a couple of hundred jumps. I was just wondering what range the 2 canopies performed best (a velocity is a few years way away yet! It was just for my own interest). And what was the best wing load to learn the canopy on. I currently load my spectre at 1.45 - 1.55 depending on amount of lead i wear. While i realise this isnt exactly extreme i wouldnt describe it as light.
Ive looked on the PD site (thanks hook) but i could only find the skill level loading tables. *edit - found recomended max 1.3 and 2.2* I ask because i realise alot of the top swoopers are upsizing their canopies.

Thanks for any info
Adi :S

I would agree with CobaltDan the Velocity only flies good at a wingloading that is beyond your experience level.
The stilletto is a awesome canopy but it is not forgiving at all!!! Dont let people fool you it is not a beginner canopy there are alot of canopies out there that are great for learning to swoop.

Guys im not interested in jumping a velocity yet. I just wanted to know what the good wing loading is! Okay its beyond my experience level - kinda figured that already, thats why im not jumping one. Ill have 5 or 600 jumps by christmas which is when i was thinkin of trying the stilletto.
Ill put the question a different way. I currently load between 1.45 and 1.55, when i try out the stilletto what loading should i go with. 1.6 on the 120 or 1.45 on the 135.

What does it matter what the optimal loading is? You should fly a canopy at your current loading level. Unless you are thinking of getting on the swoop tour there is little possibilty of excedding the capibilities of the canopy even at a 1.2 or 1:1 loading. You would be surpized that even a 384 loaded at .625 is able to get about a 20-35 foot surf if you want it to.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I currently load between 1.45 and 1.55, when i try out the stilletto what loading should i go with. 1.6 on the 120 or 1.45 on the 135.

Adi, why don't you just get a couple demos (135 & 120)and jump the chit out of em'. At 600 jumps, I'd like to think you could figure it out for yourself after you jump them.

My .02

I currently load between 1.45 and 1.55, when i try out the stilletto what
loading should i go with. 1.6 on the 120 or 1.45 on the 135.

When jumping a new canopy for the first time jump it at the same WL that you have now...That way you can compare the way the canopy flies compared to your current referance.

It is an old trick of canopy manufactures to try to get you to jump a smaller canopy than you currently jump...Of course it is gonna be more fun!..Its smaller/faster. Then you think that canopy is the best in the world.

Find the WING you want first, then get the correct size.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334