crapflinger2000

Parachutist article

Hey, do any of you recall which month's parachutist had that article that compared and contrasted Velocity vs Icarus canopies? I seem to recall there was a crap load of useful info in there (i.e. most efficient long distance configuration, etc.)

On a similar vein, having just acquired a velocity, what is the general consensus on dos and don'ts with these canopies.

For example, full stalls to canopy collapse.... I want to do this a couple times, to be fully in touch with all aspects of flying this thing...

However, I recall when Stilletos came out everyone said stalling to collapse was sure to result in a cutaway... went ahead and did it a few times no problem... any similar BS horror stories out there as regards the Vel?

Danke

Stalling a Velocity is Highly not reccomended, well unless you want a cutaway. I have talked about this with Scott Miller one of the main test jumpers of the Velocity pre release and he said that it isnt a good idea. Adding to that I dont recall a lot of cutaways when they were testing them, but if he say's it isnt a good idea its probably not and I will take his word for it.
Added, I fly as full brakes as possible on my 96 and 90 after opening so I can land last and have some fun landing, but I have had a few times that I have had partial stalls (one side) and that was scary there is an edge and I dont want ot pass it. Anyway Im sure you will hear a lot of opinions but Im just letting you know what someone with a lot of experience say's.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

there is no reason to completely stall any crossed braced canopy. none. you can find were the stall point is. like hold the brakes till it starts to fold, but don't let it. if you really really have to stall it and hold it, i hope you like your reserve.

my dad did this on his first jump on a fx, didn't even get to land it. had to chop it because he stalled it, and held and it spun up on him.

but hey, it's just my opinion right. ;)

later

There may be no reason to stall a crossbraced, but it doesn't mean it can't be done with success. Been there, done that. Both slow speed, and high speed. I feel I am adding to my experience by doing so, and I have never had to chop a high performance canopy. In fact I've not choped anything since jump #26. Flying a canopy in a stall is just that, you are still flying it, making control inputs to keep it on heading. Being comfortable with the canopy first is a good idea of course.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I feel I am adding to my experience by doing so

ok, i think i am a bit confused. why do you need to know how to hold a stall??? this just seams a bit confusing to me. yes, you do gain something from it, but i am not sure that it is much of a benifit, please explain you reasoning :)

and I have never had to chop a high performance canopy

dude, you better so knock on some wood, or you screwed. :P

later

ok, i think i am a bit confused. why do you need to know how to hold a stall??? this just seams a bit confusing to me. yes, you do gain something from it, but i am not sure that it is much of a benifit, please explain you reasoning

I didn't say you needed to know how to hold a stall. My point is developing a feel for your canopy in all realms of flight (or lack of;)) just adds to your awareness about the canopy. Being able to hold a stall may not make you a better swooper, and it may have no practical use to most people. Depends what you want to get out of it. I find it fun. I was trying to point out that it could be done safely and sucessfuly.

Have fun.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

WAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAAAAAA!!!!

Anybody come up with a date on edition that article was in?

I need it soon, I am entering a swoop comp on my new canopy in tomorrow and I need to read up on how fly my shit....

Also I have a final exam in my race car driver class at junior college so if any of you have any practical experience that will give me a leg up there I would appreciate it.

thanks

I remenber that article, it was written by Kevin Gibson a few years ago. If I were you, I'd give USPA a call (Kevin works there) and see what they can do for you (1-800-371-USPA). Or, e-mail kevin directly, and maybe he can help. I'll PM you his e-mail address.

Blue skies

Lance

Crap

Your stiletto experience will prevail here. Open the new parachute, and thrash about wildly. Scream out! Ziggy zoggy ziggy zoggy Oy OY OYY....... Feel the power deep in side. No need to practice for that comp. Use the force. It is strong with in you.

Hook it hard and feel it! You will know what to do when it is time.

OOOoooooohhhmmmmm
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Ah yess.... Snakers!!!!

After a Good Snakers Scream.... thrash about wildly, then Arms and legs spread out head back ... Take a Deep breath.... Then Clench up tight in a ball then With all your might Explode out with the Ziggy Yell...

The power will flow....
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto