Skydive2

Velocity's, How "ground hungry"

Hi, I currently jump a Velocity 90 loaded at 2.1. Everyone says how the velocity is much more "ground hungry" than an equally loaded VX or Xaos. I've never had a chance to jump a VX, and only have about 6 on a Xaos 21 (before ever jumping a velocity, so I had nothing to compare it to). I was just wondering how much more ground hungry the velocity is compared to the other X-braced canopies on the market (at equal wingloadings)?
Thanks

Lance

yes, they are more ground hungry than a vx, but i wouldn't say a hole lot more. about the same as fx, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. and it dives more than the xaos 27. now, i only got about 50 jumps under the velocity, and like 35 under a xaso 27, and they are all of similar size.

vx's-85, 72, 74, 79, and 109
fx's=78, 84, 89, and 115
velocity's=79 and 84
xaos 27=78

later

***yes, they are more ground hungry than a vx, but i wouldn't say a hole lot more. about the same as fx, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. and it dives more than the xaos 27. now, i only got about 50 jumps under the velocity, and like 35 under a xaso 27, and they are all of similar size.

vx's-85, 72, 74, 79, and 109
fx's=78, 84, 89, and 115
velocity's=79 and 84
xaos 27=78

later

One thing to take into account is that, manufacturers use a different method of calculating canopy size. So the size that a manufacturer puts on the label doesnt compare to the actual size.

There should be an industry standard on this so the consumer isnt mislead be a number instead of actual size

Picture a jumper with 100 jumps. He jumps a 9 cell canopy that is 170 square foot on the label, and is 170 square foot.
Then he jumps a canopy that is 170 square foot on the label that is 162 square foot.
Which one will he like better?
Chances are no matter what performs better the 162 will turn a little faster and come down a little faster, which to a jumper with a 100 jumps makes all the difference. Anyone will like a smaler canopy better than the bigger one they jump.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Anyone will like a smaler canopy better than the bigger one they jump.

almost anyone. my dad has a 139 crossfire, and he jumped a 129, and 119 about a month ago, didnt' like them at all. he prefered his larger canopy, that was a little bit slower. weird huh, i don't know were i get it to want to go fast, and jump small canopies.:P must be my mom's side of the family. even though, none of them will even make a skydive

later

One thing to take into account is that, manufacturers use a different method of calculating canopy size. So the size that a manufacturer puts on the label doesnt compare to the actual size.

Of course it compares.
It's just not necessarily identical.
But even if it were, different canopes fly differently.
a 120 nitron wont be the same as a 120 stiletto even if they are measured to the exact came standard.

But a 107 of the same line will be faster than a 120. That's where it's meaningful.

There should be an industry standard on this so the consumer isnt mislead be a number instead of actual size

The problem is with measuring square footage on something that isn't square. You could measure actual area of fabric, but in some shapings that still wont give an accurate picture. Canopy size is a guideline anyway. You aren't going to really feel that much difference between sizes that amount to less than .1 variation in the wing loading.

Picture a jumper with 100 jumps.

He jumps a 9 cell canopy that is 170 square foot on the label, and is 170 square foot.
Then he jumps a canopy that is 170 square foot on the label that is 162 square foot.

That jumper shouldn't be on an elliptical, and it's ellipticals that have the real problems with size measurement.

There's going to be no discernable difference to THAT jumper that 8 square feet will make. His skills aren't even close to the level where he'd notice.

it is, almost 5% -- that's a large difference when you are getting in the smaller sizes.

Thankyou someone to back me up.
I jump a velocity 96 and a stilletto 107, and I had a xaos 99 for about 75 jumps. I put the 99 on top of the 96 and it was considerably larger, so I put it on top of the 107 and it was larger. I dont know how to measure square foot on canopies so it, looks like the 99 xaos is bigger than my stilletto 107. The Xaos flew smaler than the 107 but a lot bigger than my 96. I "Think" square foot is also measured by vertical size also.
When I asked around I was told that, some manufacturer's measure the top of the canopy, and some measure the bottom. and the top is considerably bigger than the top.
Well Im sure Im going to hear about this post so let me know what you know.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

My friend has a 103 Vel. (he weighs 212)
It's a fast one, about 65mph on landing.
That was in Oct. He survived.
I'm the same weight but, not ready for that loading.
170 Cobalt next.
Velocity's are beyond my skills.