Michele

Anyone take the Canopy Control Class

BTW, I have noticed in a later post in this thread by Michelle, that the Evolution School of Canopy Flight apparently shares my opinion and I believe Jim S. is a pretty credible authority, at least as credible as bill von, so I would still urge people to not just acccept the advice of using brakes when flying in turbulence during a landing approach.

I absolutely agree, Jim is the guy I would want telling me how to fly a crossbraced swoop machine at high wingloadings. No question.

However, maybe the idea of brakes is still valid for a wide range of more docile canopies at lighter wingloadings.

Again, a matter of degrees.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Alan, I was so damned tired last night, that I didn't articulate my position too well, and did say what I said sharply. Not intended...but I still think that you, having not taken the class, don't really understand what is taught, how it's taught, and how amazingly clear it's taught. If you were to take the class, you would learn (and understand) far more things that I would...the difference being your experience level and my experience level. Your foundation has been built, and years of experience have built on that... I got a few slabs of concrete laid; my foundation is not yet complete. But I was missing that foundation, and now I'm not...it's a most intense kinda thing.

No problem, you didn't seem sharp in your reply, just got off on some celebrity thing, prolly cuz your dad is one.;)

I think your observations are well founded, as it is my understanding that they are very adept at identifying the personal needs of the student and adapting the course to fit those needs. I think I clarified all this in a previous response......I didn't pass judgement on the course, just made an observation based on Lawndarts comments. I don't write very well, so I think you just perceived my post in a way other than I intended. No biggy, it happens all the time.:)

I'll switch to PM for any future replies if any are necessary, we've gotten a little too far off Canopy contro and Swooping. Also, I'm curious now, who is your dad and can you get me his autograph? Just kidding!!!
alan

Heya, Alan...

I'm not sure why you wouldn't take some personal pride in having been fortunate enough to have been coached by one of the best in the business, but I sure am proud of the fact that I have been given personal advice from people like John LeBlanc....I have confidence in it and am confident enough to share it. You seem to have read something negative into it, at least based on your comments about celebrity status.

Yes, I did read something negative in it; if your comment wasn't meant that way, I apologize for taking it that way...something can get lost in the written word, despite all the little icons to the left....

It's kind of like this, I guess. I honestly don't care who I learn from, as long as their information and education is sound. Sometimes, the best teachers can't "do", but can teach the heck out of the topic. Sometimes, they are the best in the world, or close to it, and can't teach worth beans. And sometimes, you get both. In this situation specifically, if it had been Joe Blow teaching the canopy class, my canopy skills are sooooooo poor that I would've taken from anyone willing to teach me. As it is, I jump at Perris, and have the best available to me, and was able to avail myself of that fact. I am proud that Jim was able to teach me, but it's not necessarily the reason I took the class. Does that make sense? I'm having a hard time articulating it...I guess what I mean is that it's not personal because Jim didn't do anything but open a great school, and I availed myself of it. But that's not quite right, either...darn. It's just not coming out right tonight. Sorry....

especially since it also happens to agree with what I have been attempting to preach here for some time now.

And I have been listening. Lurking on these forums mostly (I do most of my posting in Talk because I have nothing much to add of any import or knowledge), but I've read you for years, and while you and I have turned it up a time or two, I still learn from you...

Wouldn't you agree that it is an extremely relevant and important topic?

Absolutely. And in no way did a 4 hour class teach me enough of anything on that level for me to be an expert, but like I said, the foundation has begun to be laid, and for me, that will allow a certain kind of learning from here on out. And for that, I am exceptionally grateful. I have been re-reading lots of posts made, and have been learning more and more, just with the little bit of education I got.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

AS REQUESTED:

The next available class dates for Team Extreme's Evolution Canopy Flight School will be:

Class dates: Nov 27-30, 2002
Dec 5-8, 2002
Dec 19-21, 2002

These classes will include complete instruction for intermediate and advanced canopy flight training. For more information or scheduling please contact: [email protected]

my .02....

These guys are beyond great. I still have to get out and finish the class, but what I have learned already is beyond great. I am whatever comes before beginner, so I won't be taking these classes, but they are great! (O.K., O.K., I know I said that, but I really mean it!):)
Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~