trilete312

Hornet as a First Canopy?

Hi All,
Just curious as to everyone's thoughts on a Hornet as a first Main canopy? I have been flying a Skymaster on the student rigs, but have seen that some DZ's use a Hornet. Since you can get a new Hornett for under $900 seems like it might be a good deal. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Trilete
-----------
Ready, Set, Gooooooo

They are great for your first canopy after you've learned how to really fly the skymasters/student gear and get coaching on how to safely fly an all ZP canopy and coaching on a smaller canopy then the student gear.

Search the fourm for info on Hornet and Sabre2. They are both targeted at the same crowd and there is lots of good info in those posts.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

there's been loads of info / advice about the hornet here - do a search. You will find more than enough to answer your question. (btw they kick ass :)

-----------------------------------
It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone

I think PISA are trying not to sell directly to people - I've emailed them about getting a Heatwave later on, and they said get it from dealers rather then themselves
-----------------------------------
It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone

For what it's worth, I just placed an order for a Hornet 170 from a US dealer for $945. I emailed PISA, but they pointed me to US dealers. From Icarus, the South African dealer, I was quoted $750, but then about $100 for airmail to Los Angeles, and that's before import duties. I think it used to be a lot cheaper, but the US dollar has declined a lot recently versus the SA rand. I figured that it would be a less hassle to order from an American distributor, and that was worth the difference in price. A 150 and smaller Hornet was $123 cheaper. It was a lot more than the $600-700 that other people have apparently paid, but that's still much less than $1350+ for a PD/Icarus main (or about the same as a US canopy with 300+ jumps). Your mileage may vary.

>>There was no import duty here in the states<<

None that you know of such that you actually paid it; I think it is a little like the "use tax" you are supposed to pay on items you buy in other states. The law says you have to pay it, but no one does.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Actually, there are import duties, but Manny said he'd be sending it declared as a "gift," which is a way of sidestepping that. I think that the price change reflects a stronger rand and a weaker dollar more than an actual price increase. Either way, I figured I'd rather get it from a US dealer and not have to worry about international bank transfers.

Interesting...the email I got from him specified a bank transfer. It's all a non-issue now anyway, as I ordered from Roy at Rigs N' Things. Ultimately, I was more comfortable ordering from a US distributor, and that was worth the price difference.