PhreeZone

Do tandems help on swooping?

Just a question, does building up a lot of jumps on tandems translate over to swooping?

I'm wondering since it seems like a lot of people assume that a jump is a jump on skills but I don't see how landing a Tandem can really translate over to a 85 Crossbraced canopy. Am I missing something that tandem masters learn while on jumps?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Clay, I guess you haven't seen the newer tandem mains from Sigma and Icuras. They're fairly high performace (semi-ellip), for their size they seem to fly very nicely. The tandem masters out here ususally do a braked approach, releasing at about 100ft or so, planing out nicely into a decent swoop.

"Swooping" their tandems not because they think its cool, but that speed helps with the landing a lot.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The tandem masters out here ususally do a braked approach, releasing at about 100ft or so

OK....so all I have to do is a couple hundred jumps of braked approaches on tandem mains and then I'll be sure to kick JC's ass on the Pro tour. ;) Somehow....I doubt that....:D

I can tell you that landing a Sigma, Cobalt, or Icarus tandem main definitely helps with swooping

Hmm...I just don't see it. The hardest part about it all is judging the set up for me. Putting that parachute at an exact place at an exact altitude and then using the right input for the altitude you have. I can hook hard at low altitudes but must ease up if I'm higher. (To keep riser pressure manageable) The actual flare and swoop is the easy part if it's set up right. Well...I'm not a TM though so what the hell do I know..:D

I can only assume that this thread was directed at my "700 jumps" as an "experience indicator" of my jumping versus my ability to land a sub-100 main. All I can say is this, I have just over 100 tandem jumps to date, prior to that my last 400 jumps (all withiin the last 20 months) have been on ellipticals, the last 200 of which were on ellipticals loaded 1.8-2.0. As for tandem jumps and how they translate, well, a tandems wingloading changes every jump as the weight of the student changes, so subtle flying variances in the canopies are always happening, which teaches good sitaution assessment skills.. Accuracy and good canopy flying skills translate on any canopy. And yes, tandems will surf on no wind days if you are toting a heavy person as well.

As a foot note, I stopped posting on this forum for awhile because of posts like this. Some people just seem to always have a stick up thier >>> in thier posts having to out smart the person posting. Yeah, I only have 700 jumps, what does that say about my jumping? Does it say I am an expert? does it say I am a newbie? It says neither, it only says that I've been in the sport long enough to know how to make an educated decision. Nothing more, nothing less.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

>I can only assume that this thread....

Actually, no it was'nt. I was just wondering about a few things after talking to some of the TM's at the DZ this weekend and how they are getting new/different gear and how the Tandems made them ready for it. I did'nt believe it myself but it appears that it does help.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Stylishly landing an elliptical tandem main requires finesse, just like swooping. As stated in a previous post, it's different on almost every jump because of the varying weight you have hanging from the front of you. The low toggle pressure on these new mains also makes it so that you don't require any help from the passenger to get the thing stopped. I generally take the toggles away from the passenger at around 400 or 500 feet and have them grab the grippers of their suit. For landing, I either do the brake stall/let it run mode, or a 90 degree turn to final. Both offer a good swoopy glide while not endangering the pair.

Chuck

hi

dosnt work for me...if i do loads of tandems for a few weeks then go back to my Veng 120...im eatin dirt...

still i'm not jumping any of the newer tandem canopies ...im on a set400 or mastermain 425...

I've seen some of the newer tandem chutes and can see that they are closer to the faster solo chutes and can see how the guys flying them stay current for the faster stuff

flipper

I doubt that it would have a negative effect on your landings, with the exception of not being used to a high performance canopy. As far as those fast tandem canopies go: why would anyone want to risk injuring a tandem passenger just to do a faster landing. They don't know the difference, and the risk is entirely too high to attempt. Most tandems can't stand up a slow landing. I don't have thousands of jumps(400 to be exact), and I don't do tandems, but I think this is a common sense approach to tandem landings. If it isn't, then it should be.