prost

Drawing the line hook-carve?

Pretty much the same. I call a "hook" a dive really. It can either be a front riser snap or a toggle dive. The idea being that you swing out and dive.
A carve I consider more of a gradual, controlled descent.
So in a hook you basically crank it and go into a dive pretty much over the spot that you started the hook over. In a carve its going to be a wide descending arc where you gradually build up speed.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

This is debateable but, If you perform 90,180, or 270 degree turn in a very fast 'snappy' manner, that is a hook...end result is typically a dive until recovery. hence the clarification...'snap hook'
If you complete the turn more slowly (possibly making slight riser corrections for heading during the maneuver..more..less etc), that is a carve.
peace
ramon

Many people can give a clear definition of the difference in a extreme snap hook and a carve. There are approaches in between these. What if a person enters the dive smoothly and slowly, uses a harness turn in the opposite direction to increase the recovery arc and comes slowly and smoothly out of the dive but in the middle of their 270 degree turn ends up in a very steep dive because they continue to pull their riser farther down. Would this be a hook or a carve. My point is that approaches can not be divided into two neat categories. Somewhere in the middle they melt together.
William

Somewhere in the middle is good. I prefer a light, 90 degree, smooth snap, to get into baseleg, and carve the other 90 into final. Planing out on the baseleg, if it doesn't feel right, I forget the carve, and ride it long. Give yourself a margin for miscalculation, it happens fast.

You have some interesting answers here. I would urge you to ask yourself if there is any point in the manuever where the canopy unloads after an aggressive control input. During any speed building manuever, the load will increase and decrease to varying degrees and at varying rates at different stages of the manuever. Additionally, how would I define "aggressive"? For me, if I make an input quickly/deeply enough, there is a point where the response of the canopy is a combination of a change in direction with a very tight radius, a momentary loss of momentum and airspeed and the risers unload relative to what they were prior to the input and then the canopy begins to accellerate. On the other hand, does the input result in an increasing load during the heading change and only decreases as you/after you decrease the input.
alan

Are you saying that you would describe a hook as a manuever that causes the an unloading of the canopy and a carve would not?

No, you have over simplified it. My definition went more like this: "For me, if I make an input quickly/deeply enough, there is a point where the response of the canopy is a combination of a change in direction with a very tight radius, a momentary loss of momentum and airspeed and the risers unload relative to what they were prior to the input and then the canopy begins to accellerate." During a carve, the canopy will unload as well, but at a different points of time in the manuever and at different rates, which is what I meant when I said, "During any speed building manuever, the load will increase and decrease to varying degrees and at varying rates at different stages of the manuever."
alan

There is no clear line. Everyone has a "range" of turns that they do from different altitudes and positions above the DZ to put them where they want to be at the end of their swoop. I toggle turn, but sometimes from full glide, and sometimes, if the spot has been deep and I'm half braking it back, from half brakes with harness input inbetween.
t