LawnDart21

Another question for swoopmasters

Okay, question number 2. I'm wondering about the mechanics of the swoop flare. I jumped a Sabre 150 for like 200 jumps and had it so dialed in, that I could pull a 90 hook to double fronts and literally wait until my outstretched toes touched the grass before I flared (hard), I'd then let up the toggles almost all the way back up and just surf until it started to fizzle,and then flare again to stop the canopy. Obviously if I did that with my 120 loaded 1.85, I'd be wrting this from a hospital bed.....LOL.....so it's safe to say I had to alter my flare a wee bit on this canopy. Anyways, my question is, I've seen a lot of competition swoopers at Quincy and some of them would surf with there arms outstreched to the sides (elbow locked out) and get mad surf, and then others would come down over the pond, flare and then let their toggles back up to almost full flight and get a similar (long) swoop out of it. So what is the difference in arms all the way out versus bringing the toggles back up to the risers during the surf? (I am not even a "canopy nazi cadet"....LOL, I just land/swoop by feel (successfully I might add.....), so please feel free to be as information rich as possible in your responses. I want to learn as much as possible about the mechanics of swooping. Muchos Gracias!!!
"I live to EFS"
Tom
(me on my Sabre at Quincy.....feeling for grass.......)

Hi Tom,
arms stretched out looks really cool ;-)) And it's a typical flare movement of PD jumpers (Velocity, Stiletto, Vengeance, Sabre) because the flare is a bit higher as say with an Icarus canopy where it lies way deeper in the toggle range. Have a look on it the next time.
Bringing the arms up again - I don't know if I really understand you correct, but for me it sounds as if you mean a "pumping flare". Pumping the canopy while flaring actually does not have any effect on your flare and is kinda an old method of flaring, habitual of jumpers who learned swooping on the first ZP-canopies.
Hope I could help you out a bit ;-)
blues Marcus
--
Perfect speed, my son, is being there. - Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Pumping the canopy while flaring actually does not have any effect on your flair . . .

Actually, pumping the toggles should decrease the length of the swoop quite a bit. I'd call that a negative effect.
Clearly the longest swoops would be with the smoothest appropriate control inputs.
quade
http://futurecam.com

I swoop with my arms way out and behind me, laying WAY forward in the harness with my chest strap loosened all the way. I tap toggles just a touch to get around the corner, then let the tension off just so I stay in ground effect. Pumping your toggles is counterproductive; smooth is where it's at if you are looking for distance.
My webpage HERE

Another thing the putting the toggles up might be.
If you nail the turn, on a not too heavy loaded canopy, after you bring it out with the toggle input, you can have enough speed to be in full flight, with toggles all the way up, but still surfing along the ground, or climbing.
I got that way on my sabre, if I hit it right. It is hard to keep it on the ground, it want's to climb on you.
There are a couple Really good canopy pilots here that have actually got into double fronts DURING the surf, to keep a student canopy sized main on the ground. Pretty cool.