JumpinJohn

Stalling

If you flair too high above the ground on landing do not release your hands all the way back up. You might nose dive into the ground. Release quarter to half brakes then flair hard again in a situation close to the ground. Stalling can be used also for accuracy by slowing your forward penetration as well.
Seb B|

John, I am fascinated that you did not learn this in your FJC.

Immediately upon canopy opening, one looks up and sees if their canopy "is there and square." If it is, then the first thing one does is perform "post opening procedures." This consists of three things: looking left, then turning left 90 degrees; looking right, then turning right 90 degrees back onto your original path; and slowly flaring your canopy until you discover the stall point. You do this on every jump.
You do all these things to determine if your canopy is going to react correctly to toggle input. If there is something wrong with your canopy that is not immediately evident, it will generally show it's head during post opening procedures.
Should you open your canopy and have something wrong with it (a low speed malfunction), your "post opening procedures" then become a "controlability check." The intent at that point is to try and accomplish the same task, but one of three things will generally be happening: your parachute will either be turning right or left, or it will be stalling off on you. If it is turning left, you must be able to cancel the turn with 50 percent or less right-toggle application in order to be landed safely. If it is turning right, you must be able to cancel it with 50 percent or less left toggle application in order to be able to land it safely. If it stalls before 50 percent brakes are applied then it is not landable and you execute cutaway procedures. That is one of the primary reasons for checking the stall point on every skydive. The other reason is so that you know at what point in your flared landing your parachute is going to fall back. Obiously you do not want to stall your parachute at an altitude higher than that at which you can step down to the ground safely.

A little background here: I teach at a club where our first jump course runs five days, from Monday thru Friday, 5:30 pm till around 9:00 every night. I do not half ass anything and I get pissed when "shake and bake" students are left to fend for themselves. That being said, feel free to ask me anything you like about subjects that you do not have a good enough grasp of.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

Alright, let me start off by saying that I am probably at the same point as you, if not less (I have 25 jumps). I'm still at the point where first thing after opening (if it happens) is to to a 360 L/R turn and full stall to make sure everything is working alright. After that when under a new (to me) canopy, I do a couple of full stalls followed by riser turns (front and rear) to try to learn about what the canopy could/would do to me throughout the ride. Well, that is how I do it, as to why I do it, I'm still a pilot scared of what an unfamiliar airplane can do to me (the canopy). Of course this is just my experience, and I definitely reccomend seeing a qualified instructor before trying anything I reccomend.