flyinryan

Question for the pro-swoopers

Okay, so in Parachutist this month they said one of the guys at the swoop meet in Peris Valley crashed into the pond with a cell phone on his person. My question is why a phone? Are you waiting for your sponsers to call? Dose Cobalt Dan call Chuck Blue up a lot in the middle of a swoop..."Okay Chuck...do good now, bye." Who do you call that you would need to have a phone in the airplane and under canopy???

The only time I've ever had one on me when I was jumping was during my cross country jumps. Although, I did call a friend while flying back to the DZ under canopy: "Hey, guess where I am? I don't know...I'm in Granbury at about 9-grand..."
It was handy, though, since we were flying our canopies something like 6 or 7 miles and were worried about landing waaaay off the DZ.
AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

These are all excellent points but in Parachutist the guy had a cell phone on FOR A SWOOPING CONTEST. Seems strange no? Don't they do hop and pops during those things? Kinda hard to land that far out from 3 or 4 grand. I don't know, seems funny to me. By the way, calling someone during a cross country sounds like a cool idea, I think I might have to steal that idea.

Actually, we found out that the guy really didn't have his cellphone on. Still, this guy (an intermediate competitor) POUNDED into the pond! He did not move for a while because it knocked the wind out of him. Ruined were his video camera, two audibles, his Cypres (though it might have been saved). It was ugly for him. We all shook our heads in disbelief.
Chuck
My webpage HERE