crazy

Rig for small main & much bigger reserve

I'm trying to find a new rig with there requirements:
- 88 sqft, non cross-braced, non air locked, 9 cell ZP main. Later a 78sqft
- 155 sqft reserve (packs like a PD143)
- no velcros to wear out the lines on my main

The only perfect match that i could find is a mirage m1z. But i don't like the mirage and i think it's too expensive.

The next near match is either the wings w-10-1, but the main container is too big already, or the wings w-7 but i have to downsize the reserve 10 a 140 sqft and i don't really want to. I like the wings, and it's not too expensive, but if i'm going to put a lot of money in a new rig, i'd prefer a perfect match.

The only other possibility that i see is a racer but last time i saw one of those, there were too many velcros for my taste. Did anybody try a racer with kevlar or HMA lines?

Are there other manufacturers who produce rigs with such a big difference between the size of the main and the size of the reserve?

bb
come [beer adjudicator]
www.skydiveasia.org

Have you asked directly from sunrise rigging ? In their sizing charts disclaimer it says "When ordering your custom Wings please indicate on the order form exactly which main and reserve canopies you intend to use in your new rig so that we may build you the most suitable container." From that I'd get the impression that they are able to do just the right sized container for your combo.

Just another thing, what's your exit weight ? Assume that you load your reserve a moderate 1.1 -> 155 * 1.1 = 170.5 lbs so you would be loading your 88 1.93 and later that 78 nearly 2.2. What kind of non crossbraced main you are thinking about loading that high ? Cobalt perphaps ? Just curious...
http://www.ufufreefly.com

Have you asked directly from sunrise rigging ?

Yes, i asked them directly. They actualy select the most suitable container among the existing sizes.

Just another thing, what's your exit weight ? Assume that you load your reserve a moderate 1.1 -> 155 * 1.1 = 170.5 lbs

I already load my reserve at ~1.4, my exit weight is a bit less than 220lbs, it's the reason why i don't like the idea of downsizing the reserve.

so you would be loading your 88 1.93 and later that 78 nearly 2.2. What kind of non crossbraced main you are thinking about loading that high ?

Even though the manufacturer recommends a very conservative max exit weight, a nitro can be loaded at 2.8, maybe more, as long as you have the experience to handle it. The recommended wing loading of the blade (high performance nitro) ranges from 2.0 to 2.7.

--
Come

B|
Subject: Rig for small main & much bigger reserve
Posted by: crazy
Posted on: Oct 10, 2002, 12:39 AM

I'm trying to find a new rig with there requirements:
- 88 sqft, non cross-braced, non air locked, 9 cell ZP main. Later a 78sqft
- 155 sqft reserve (packs like a PD143)
- no velcros to wear out the lines on my main

Hello.
Try the Atom of Parachutes of France.
The got harnesses in every sizes.
J got a Atom and LOVE it.
And It is qualiti at a nice prise as well.
And it is very safe.Look at Babylon,one of the best freefyers in the world.
www.babylon-free.com
B| Take care...................c-yaa

Try the Atom of Parachutes of France.
The got harnesses in every sizes.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, the problem is not about the size of the harness but about the size of the containers. PdF, like several other manufacturers, provides only rigs with reserve containers approximately the same size as the main container (this still puzzles me).
I actually have an atom 0 and i really have lots of serious problems because the main canopy doesn't fill the container.

--
Come

Crazy,

Mirage Systems builds a container exactly for what you want to jump. The container is the M1Z. The reserve is designed for a 150 size reserve with a standard construction 107-97 main. They can also shorten almost every main container by .5 inches to tighten the main container for even smaller mains.

They actually have a couple in stock if you want to look that them on their web site. They look like a normal container. Not a mutant.

If you have any questions on the container contact them. [email protected]

Try calling Mr. Farrington at the Infinity factory. He will be glad to build you a container for a medium-sized reserve and a tiny main.
I have also discussed your dilemma with Al MacDonald at Flying High. Al is open to the concept and has already worked out the major problems.

The only other possibility that i see is a racer but last time i saw one of those, there were too many velcros for my taste. Did anybody try a racer with kevlar or HMA lines?
www.skydiveasia.org

The new Racers have much less velcro than the older style. Check them out at www.jumpshack.com

I do know people who jump Racers with Vectran lines who haven't had any problems.

W

I like a big reserve too. I jump a 108 with a 150 reserve. And sorry to say, the best container to accomodate the combo was a Mirage G3. You might want to give Mirage a second look.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

Send an email or call to Velocity Sports Equipment (infinity) and to Rigging innovations (makers of talon and voodoo) to see if they can make you a custom made container with what you want for main and reserve.

Disclaimer: I get nothing from those companies by writing this.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

I think. I was aksing the same question and was told they will make whatever size main/reserve combo you want.

Plus their new tuck tabs are a lot better than the old velcro. I think the rigs have improved..

although I jumpa vector III myself

ramon
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

thanks a lot everybody for all the info.
Sunrise rigging told me that they will check if they can make a wings with my requirements. If that fails, i'll ask what can be done with the sidewinder and the infinity.
Finally, including the racer and the mirage, there seems to be many choices. Nice to see that several manufacturers are so open to our requirements.

--
Come
--
Come
Skydive Asia