FliegendeWolf

pilot chute hole

I am considering buying a rig from someone, and I would like your advice. It seems that there is a teeny hole in the pilot chute (see attached). The seller tells me that her rigger doesn't think it's a problem, but I was wondering what you all think: would this hole make you hesitate?
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

pilotchute.JPG

Is the rest of the rig in good condition?? A small hole in the pilot chute I don't think is a big deal. You can patch it with some canopy tape, or just buy a new pilot chute. But, if the pilot chute has a hole in it, you might want to give the rest of the rig a complete inspection. It may have been an accident, but it also may be how she treated her gear. Give a good inspection to the whole thing!

Diclaimer: I am in no way an expert!

Last week I found out my pilot-chute has a tear in it. My rigger advised me to draw a box around the tear and check if it grows. When the tear grows, replace the pilot-chute immediately, otherwise: jump!

btw. the tear in my pilot-chute is quite a bit bigger than the one you attached.. so I wouldn't worry too much, just give it a little extra attention.

If you patch it with canopy tape, make sure you put it on the inside of the pilot chute. That will keep the stress on the fabric instead of the seam.

-Jon
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

a new pc, kill line bridle assembly costs roughly 60-80 dollars, jet it, if you buy it, it's just one thing that "could" go wrong. pc's are cheap, and pc's in tow are ugly.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

My Pilot Chute has a 3-4 inch rip near the apex, which showed up in the regular post jump inspection. I was told that this was caused by a too short kill line, which has been subsequently lengthened. I used ripstop tape on both sides of the tear and inspect after every jump. Been looking fine for approx 50 jumps so far.

Just replace the PC.

The gum/adhesive on Rip Stop tape degrades the fabric stength over time. I have removed tape from a canopy and could tear the fabric like tissue paper.

If your PC is torn, replace it, if your canopy is torn, get it properly patched.

Don't use Rip Stop tape.

Hook

You didn't say if it was the main or reserve.

If its the reserve, I'd guess it was caused by a misplaced "Powertool". Packers frequntly tuck the bar of the tool under the reserve flaps to hold it while they place the bag in the container. A packer could've inadvertently poked a hole in the pilot chute.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.