scotts

Oxygen or A-3

I'm getting a good deal on 1 of these helmets. My choice of either. Any suggestions as well as pros/cons are appreciated. Also, has anyone heard/have a Sky Systems helmet sized (XL point 5). Sounds odd, but they say it's a valid size. Thanks in advance.

I say go with the A-3, that's what I use and I love it. I don't have first hand experience with the other one, but the A-3 is a newer design and I swear I read an anecdote on rec.skydiving about someone liking the A-3 over the 'normal' Oxygn. Try a search in google groups maybe to find more info.

I don't recommend the Z-1 because of a lot of posts about bad quality on some of them as far as durability goes. Plus they are far heavier because they are made of plastic vs. a kevlar/carbon fiber composite with the A-3. I also think the A-3 gives more peripheral vision although the difference might be negligable and I like the no button flip-up. You usually get what you pay for.

Oh, I have heard of the XL .5 as well from some post in rec.skydiving about helmets one time.

EDIT: I found the post on wreck.dot go to http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=7mvmn8%245oa%241%40mail.pl.unisys.com&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Doxygn%2Ba3%2Bvs%2Boxygn%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26hl%3Den.

Quotes from post for lazies:
"1) What is the difference in the Oxygn helmet and the Oxygn A3?

I believe the A3 has an external port for an audible. I have the regular
Oxygn with the flip up visor. I like the helmet but do not flip the visor up
much. Although it has proved to be useful during the summer heat when wearing
the helmet for takeoff."

"1) As others have mentioned the difference is the external audible port
vs. internal. Also, the A3's have no "button" for opening the visor.
(big improvement) I've broken two lenses opening and closing my
"standard" Oxygn. Try opening the standard without smearing the lens or
cracking it. It's not the easiest until you get the hang of it."

Too bad you not getting a deal on a Z-1 - Seem like that the full face to have at our DZ- I have one and love it- It opens and closes really nice and has room for two dytters-

from personal experience, it has a very very tight fit with the ditter inside, I cant use a L Z1 if it has a ditter inside but without the ditter it fits perfect.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

No problems w/ the shield flipping open.

When the helmet is new, the shield is TIGHT and takes quite a bit of effort to open and close. Since, you are opening and closing the face shield you'll be aware when it begins to get loose. By 'loose' I mean easy to open. Just snug up the screws on the hinge so it requires about as much effort as new.

I don't use a lot of force to snug them. I dunno if the the screw is a standard size to all skysys helmets, but I keep a 5/64ths Hex wrench in my gear bag. the wrench was part of a set I picked up at the hardware store for less than 2$.

Also, I don't do a lot of freeflying. I do like the experiencee tho w/ the full face. Fast. Quiet. Smooth air flow. Relaxed. Seeing the horizon 'the other way'

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Im fixing to get an Oxygen too, but I've had some friends have problems with the protrack on the outside of their helmet. Even with extra bungy straps it can still be kicked or bumped.

I'd rather have my protrack on the inside of my helmet, since Im not the kind of jumper who checks it or resets it alot during the day.

Have any solutions for that with the A3?

There is a thumb ramp on the mounting clip to release the pro track. Whether or not it helps on the A3, I don't know.

L&B recommends you mount it on your leg for the cleanest air possible. Tolerances listed are from their user manual.

Exit alt. +/- 1.2%
Deployment alt. +/- 100ft.
Freefall time +/- 1 second
Speed when mounted on wrist/leg +/- 3mph

Thanks for the responses, they have raised more ?'s than I expected. BEER with me!