Hooknswoop

Tandem drogue

A tandem Instructor that owns his own tandem rig was having bad openings on a brand new canopy. I watched video of one and it looked as if the canopy wasn’t hooked up correctly or that there was something wrong w/ the trim. So I looked the canopy over and finding nothing wrong, jumped it. I had the longest “trap door” sensation at pull time that I have ever had in over 800 tandem jumps. I even had time to wonder what was happening and look over my shoulder in time to watch the canopy come out of the bag.

It opened fine, with a line twist, no big deal. I looked at it hard under canopy and could find nothing wrong with it.

Back on the ground, I looked at the drogue and it was COMPLETELY collapsed, similar to a kill line PC. It shouldn’t have completely collapses, it should have had about 8 inches of center line travel left and stopped collapsing. Well turns out the drogue was incorrectly modified.

Hook

Hook, I've watched video of quite a few tandem drogues and they seem to really wander around a lot, maybe even enough to make it more work for the TM to keep the ride nice and smooth. Ever wonder why they don't put a vent at the apex to reduce the oscillations?
alan

There is mesh around the equator of the drogue, i suspect it there is reduce the oscillations. Where the fabric/tape meets the mesh is a big wear point on drogues. The mesh tears easily. So adding more mesh would increase the amount of repairs that has to be done on a continuing basis. I read that some BASE PC's now incorporate a bit of mesh near the top to reduce oscillations. I think because of the massive burble drogues operate in, there isn't much that can be done to stabilize them. I haven't felt the oscillations under a drogue before, so I don't think it is a big deal.

Hook