hobbes4star

alti maintenance

i have a ft-50 alti and i was wondering. does anyone know what kinda maintenance should be performed on them. this is some dirt inside the lense and the wheel still turns ok. but the needle is starting to stick at the 3000ft mark?? any suggestions??
if fun were easy it wouldn't be worth having, right?

I'm not recommending that you do this this yourself(as it maybe illegal and all and yada yada), but the insides of a basic altimeter are not that complicated. I have opened one to dry it and clean it up after a water-jump. I just basicly wiped all the parts dry and closed the alti. No problems.

Erno

I have opened one to dry it and clean it up after a water-jump. I just basicly wiped all the parts dry and closed the alti. No problems.

If you do that make sure your next jump you have an extra altimeter just to make sure that the altimeter is working great.

Some of us give the altimeter to the airplane instruments mechanich, he knows how to fix it and has the cam to test it. Cheaper than to send it to the US for fixing.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

If your DZ has a test chamber for the Sentinal AAD, you can put it in there for a quick test before jumping. They are relatively easy to disassemble and clean, but it is nice if someone with a little experience is looking over your shoulder.
alan

Hi
The Norwegian handbook statess this about altimeters and repairs:

Repair of altimeters and stopwatches must only be performed by authorized clock- and intrument smiths.

I guess taking it to a clocksmith might be a good idea. He has the equipment and qualification to repair, clean and adjust it. I believe most clocksmiths also sells and repairs barometers, and the principle of an altimeter is the same.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.