ernokaikkonen

Effects of markers on canopy fabric and lines

I just got my reserve-packers ticket, and I'm now looking into other areas of rigging as well. I've been told that I should only use a ball-point pen when making markings on lines or canopy-fabric, because "There's no way of knowing what the chemicals in the marker might do to the fabric/line." It seems reasonable to be careful with these kind of things, but marking ZP or microline with a ball-point pen can be a pain; it just doesn't stick.

So I'm asking the riggers out there: Do any of you use felt-tip markers(permanent or water-soluble?) when making markings on fabric or lines, or are there documented cases of some ink damaging fabric or lines?

Erno

Sharpies are reputed to hurt climbing ropes (similar to Dacron lines), so Blue Water, a rope manufacturer, developed a "rope pen" with special ink that's supposed to be non-damaging.

http://www.mgear.com/pages/product/product.asp?level1_id=0&level2_id=0&level3_id=0&item=610046&level2_title=
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

>Sharpies are reputed to hurt climbing ropes (similar to Dacron lines)

I thought climbing ropes were made with a two-part construction method, as better explained at
http://www.adventuresports.com/climb/equipment.htm:

A climber's rope has a kernmantle construction: a soft and supple nylon sheath, usually multi-colored, protects the real "working" part-- the braided core.

Not too similar to Dacron-line to me... Unless you meant the material of the sheath, which might be pretty close.

So, supposedly, the ink in Sharpies damages the rope. Are there a documented cases, or is it just a "well known fact":P?

To repeat one of the questions in my first post:
Are there documented cases of magic markers/sharpies/etc damaging canopy fabric or lines?

Erno

The sheath of a climbing rope is the only part that can be damaged by the ink (which will never touch the core). So, um, yeah, I meant the material the sheath is made from is similar to the material that dacron lines are made from.

I've never researched potential damage from the ink, but I sort of assumed that Blue Water wouldn't have gone to the trouble to market a two dollar product unless there was chemical evidence to support it. A ten dollar pen, I could see them trying to pawn off on us suckers. A two dollar pen, and I'd bet they're trying to protect their ropes.

If you're looking for actual technical info on it, you might try contacting Blue Water directly.

http://www.bluewaterropes.com/

[email protected]

I've only ever used tape or their pen to mark my ropes, so I don't have any firsthand knowledge.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

> but I sort of assumed that Blue Water wouldn't have gone to
>the trouble to market a two dollar product unless there was
>chemical evidence to support it.

Being the cynical bastard I am, I think it would be easiest to make sure some $1 pen doesn't damage the rope, and then market it as the $2 "non-rope-damaging marker"... ;)

>I've only ever used tape or their pen to mark my ropes, so I
>don't have any firsthand knowledge.

I know it's a tried method to mark climbing ropes with tape, but what if the glue on the tape has some damaging properties...:o

Yeah, right, now I'm getting paranoid. I think I'll whip up a study. I'm thinking of taking a bit of ZP and a bit of 0-3cfm, make a lot of markings on them with different markers, and expose the fabrics to UV for a week or two. After that poke at the fabric and see if it rips... What do you think?

Erno

I use alcohol or toluene-based felt markers on suspension lines and have never noticed any additional wear at the marks.
As for marking canopy fabric, Para-Flite did a study years ago and concluded that Dixon chalk pencils did the least damage to F-111 nylon canopy fabric.
I also built a couple of kit parachutes that had alignment marks done with a variety of pens. The canopies fell out of fashion before they showed any wear at the markings.