at987

New Skydiver Questions

Hi there, apologies if this is in the wrong section or has already been answered as this is my first post.

I turn 16 next month and since as long as I can remember I have been interested in skydiving. Recently I found out about the RAPS courses available. Due to pricing (since parents would pay for the course for my birthday) this seems like a very good way to get into what will hopefully become a lifelong interest.

I just have a couple of questions that I would be interested to have answered.

Would RAPS be a good course for someone with no experience?

If I continue with the RAPS program, How many jumps would it take to become fully qualified to AFF 8 standard, and what would a rough estimate of price per jump be?

Once I am qualified, will I have to have my own equipment or is it widely available to rent?

And finally, how much would you say a full set of equipment would cost, bearing in mind that I am very light? (about 9.5 stone)

Thanks again, Andy

In order:

Yes, RAPS is a static line method. It is fine for beginners.

If you do everything correctly, it's about 10-15 jumps to solo student status (IIRC, someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this) The cost is a lot less per jump than AFF. Costs vary from DZ to DZ so you'd have to ask the DZs that you are looking at what their specific costs are for the course. Keep in mind that AFF 8 is not fully qualified and licensed, it is just solo student status.

Most DZs rent their student gear to students and new jumpers. The DZ may or may not give priority for the rental gear to students over newly licensed jumpers.

Weight won't have much effect on cost. Your smaller size might make finding used gear more difficult, but just being lighter won't matter.
Cost will vary widely based on age, condition, and a few other factors. Used is cheaper than new, but a better idea for a newer jumper for a bunch of reasons. I guess you are in the UK from your vocabulary, and I don't know anything about gear costs over there but here in the US, you can spend anywhere from $2000 up to about $7500 for a rig. Toss in a couple hundred more for the rest of the stuff - Helmet, goggles, jumpsuit, altimeter, ect.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

How many jumps would it take to become fully qualified to AFF 8 standard

Just to add one thing, AFF 8 is not qualified, you are still a student at this point, just one who is trusted to jump and learn without an instructor in freefall next to you (there still has to be one in the plane with you though).

Don't get me wrong, it's an achievement (equivalent to making it to freefall in RAPS), but you're square in the middle of your A license training at this point, rather than at the end!

Anyway, it sounds like you're in the UK. You have loads of options available to you and can't really go wrong... good luck, you're going to have a blast!
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Just to add one thing, AFF 8 is not qualified, you are still a student at this point, just one who is trusted to jump and learn without an instructor in freefall next to you (there still has to be one in the plane with you though).

Don't get me wrong, it's an achievement (equivalent to making it to freefall in RAPS), but you're square in the middle of your A license training at this point, rather than at the end!

Anyway, it sounds like you're in the UK. You have loads of options available to you and can't really go wrong... good luck, you're going to have a blast!

I don't mean to thread jack, but I'm sure its a question the OP would like to know as well.
After you graduate AFF with your, minimum of, 8 jumps, what do you have to do for the jumps up to your 25th for when you can apply for your A license?

I was looking for pricing at the local DZ but I don't see a section for it. Is it the Student Coaching jumps($95 each jump)? And is this necessary? or can you just do the regular "experienced" jump prices of around $25 a pop?

The systems diverge a bit between the UK and US at this point, and possibly even between dropzones.

Here in the UK, the ten jumps after completing the 8 AFF levels are 'consolidation' jumps, generally solos, and charged at something closer to the 'experienced jumper' rate (although you still need instructor supervision, you need less of it). During this time you can be working on skills, on the canopy requirements for your A license or just enjoying being in the air on your own - there are suggestions but you are on your own.

Coach jumps (here) are for post-A-license jumpers who are working on their skills for FS1 or FF1 or whatever. Coach jumps are, again, with another person and require two tickets, so they're generally more expensive.

Is that what you were after?
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I've been reading this over the past few weeks and was recommended it if I was to really get serious with Skydiving;
http://www.amazon.com/Parachuting-Skydivers-Handbook-Dan-Poynter/dp/1568601417/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340957084&sr=8-1&keywords=skydivers+handbook

It is everything, and more, a beginner wants know before starting their course.
What to expect on a first jump, convection currents, freefall hands signals, history, emergency procedures, fantastic skydiving quotes, license requirements, tips and pictures forperforming moves... the world of skydiving is detailed and is more than just falling for fun, without nagging the guys on here 24/7 or stalking them, this book covers what I want to know before I begin my AFF.

What it doesn't help with is containing your excitement or dealing with the waiting.

With regards to the USPA A licence, this is from USPA website;

3-1: USPA Licenses
E. License privileges and requirements

A License

1. Persons holding a USPA A license may jump without supervision, pack their own main parachute, engage in basic group jumps, perform water jumps, and must have-

a. completed 25 jumps
b. completed all requirements listed on the USPA A License Proficiency Card http://www.uspa.org/Portals/0/Downloads/Form_ALicenseProfandApp.pdf
c. completed five group freefall skydives involving at least two participants
d. received the signature and official stamp on the USPA A License Proficiency Card or USPA A License Progression Card (ISP)

Note: For USPA A-license registration purposes only, USPA Headquarters will accept either completed card signed by a USPA Instructor without the official stamp. The registration fee must be included.

this book covers what I want to know before I begin my AFF

Ehm, actually you should be learning all you need to know during your first jump course.

Being enthousiastic is good, but having too much information too soon isn't.

We've had a student continually interupting his instructor saying "yeah but the skydiver's handbook says"
B|

I personally think it's best if you do a couple jumps and preferably finish your AFF and THEN start reading books (and watching youtube LOL), because by then you have a base to judge thinks by, and know which people to ask/talk to about anything in those books/videos.
Too much information can trip you up during the course/practical test, and worse, during a real-time malfunction. Stick with the curriculum at first, until you have more "room in your head" for theory other than that needed for your first couple jumps.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Skydivers handbook(cover to cover 3 times) and interrupting your instructor, definitely a no no, learning and practicing dive flow before you goto the dropzone is VERY helpful. For me at least.

I have mild ADD and I have a hard time memorizing and doing things in sequence. Learning how a system works and gaining understanding of systems and technical data is where I excel.

Learning the dive flows from youtube/my Dz's website was extremely helpful to me. I have to agree with the main sentiment though.
I fly and stuff, its fun!