chuckakers

Demo vs "off DZ jump" (was: Fatal/S Ga)

>It's only Skydiving...what's the worse that could happen?

One of the scariest jumps I almost did:

World Team 2004. Last day of the event. No record and it's pouring out. BJ has a plan:

"OK so here's what we're going to do. We're going to load up, take off, fly an hour west to beat the storm, fly over this abandoned Vietnam-era airbase, drop everyone from 26,000+ feet, get the record, land, load up the planes, then fly back. The landing area is huge. It'll be fine*."

Normally I think we would have been talked into such a plan, since to get on such records you have to be the kind of person who's willing to weather any adversity to get on the loads. But after a sketchy demo into downtown Bangkok that put a few people in the hospital there was a lot of apprehension over such schemes. Many people (me included) complained to team captains and organizers.

Finally a compromise was reached - we would go there, land, check out the landing areas, have breakoff and landing briefings, dirt dive and then go up. This was still a bit sketchy, combining a new landing area with the pressure everyone was under, but we agreed to it. We went there, landed, discovered the big area that had an antenna that was really more like a field of five foot spikes, took off and got the record. And even had time to do one more jump before the weather (and night) came in.

(* - because it wasn't a demo of course.)

~ Landing at Carolina Sky Sports following the Century of Flight demo at Kitty Hawk.

Night, marginal weather, tall trees on each side of the strip, coming in hot & heavy in a sky-van with a tired pilot...IF they would have let me get out ~ I WOULD HAVE! ;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

It's only Skydiving...what's the worse that could happen?! :ph34r:;)

Being the only guy on plane, with a couple of hot chicks and then chickening out of the jump because it's a strange dz?[:/]

Egos heal much faster than bones! ;)

Fuck that. Chicks did scar and Titanium. Go big, Nigel... ;)

Unknown LZ's and Bimbos have something in common as far as jumping...when in doubt ~ Safer to Pull Out! B|

You're no fun. No wonder you got so old! :P;)
Remster

It's only Skydiving...what's the worse that could happen?! :ph34r:;)

Being the only guy on plane, with a couple of hot chicks and then chickening out of the jump because it's a strange dz?[:/]

Egos heal much faster than bones! ;)

Fuck that. Chicks did scar and Titanium. Go big, Nigel... ;)

Unknown LZ's and Bimbos have something in common as far as jumping...when in doubt ~ Safer to Pull Out! B|

Best line to come from this thread!
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

>It's only Skydiving...what's the worse that could happen?

One of the scariest jumps I almost did:

World Team 2004. Last day of the event. No record and it's pouring out. BJ has a plan:

"OK so here's what we're going to do. We're going to load up, take off, fly an hour west to beat the storm, fly over this abandoned Vietnam-era airbase, drop everyone from 26,000+ feet, get the record, land, load up the planes, then fly back. The landing area is huge. It'll be fine*."

Normally I think we would have been talked into such a plan, since to get on such records you have to be the kind of person who's willing to weather any adversity to get on the loads. But after a sketchy demo into downtown Bangkok that put a few people in the hospital there was a lot of apprehension over such schemes. Many people (me included) complained to team captains and organizers.

Finally a compromise was reached - we would go there, land, check out the landing areas, have breakoff and landing briefings, dirt dive and then go up. This was still a bit sketchy, combining a new landing area with the pressure everyone was under, but we agreed to it. We went there, landed, discovered the big area that had an antenna that was really more like a field of five foot spikes, took off and got the record. And even had time to do one more jump before the weather (and night) came in.

(* - because it wasn't a demo of course.)

~ Landing at Carolina Sky Sports following the Century of Flight demo at Kitty Hawk.

Night, marginal weather, tall trees on each side of the strip, coming in hot & heavy in a sky-van with a tired pilot...IF they would have let me get out ~ I WOULD HAVE! ;):ph34r:

I would have been right behind you.:)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Sparky

Did that pucker you up as much as it did ME?! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Sparky

Did that pucker you up as much as it did ME?! :ph34r:

:S[:/]:P

Big time.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

So what do you call someone who what's to make something so without any supporting evidence?

CSpenceFLY

Sparky

Whatever man. All any of you have to do is backup the term you are trying to use with a definition that fits. Not some made up shit of "all off DZ landings are a demo".