BMFin

What kinda rig is safe for Freeflying ?

I fly a Vector II and 150 sabre at the moment. (b-student) Vector II seems a bit unreliable for head-down. The riser-covers are sortaf "stickers". So if there would be any extra lines loose on the bottom of the container risers could easilly come out. I guess Vector II isnt too much for Free..

What is ? and Why ? Lot of people say Wings or Javelin isnt good for free , but then again a lot of people fly both head-down. Is mirage the one and only ?

BTW. If you have any experience/stories on situations where one has had a horseshoe/something else becouse of the rig not handling freeflying, please share those stories.

There was a thread on Vectors awhile back. Bill Booth informed everyone on what to do if you are thinking about making modifications to your V2.. See http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=136786;search_string=Vector%203;#136786

Mirage is not the only rig for freeflying. Infinity, Wings and Voodoos are nice too. I have a Mirage and love it though.

I have a Vector 2 and I sitfly and stand in it. I have only had one problem one time with it, when I noticed my reserve flap was open as I was packing it up. Not sure if that was a result of my sitflying on that jump or some other factor in the plane leading up to my jump. Haven't had any problems recently though. I am wary of trying to do headdown with it because the riser covers are just velcro.

As far as how to pack: Make sure that your bridal is tucked up under the flap real good and secure and that you have tight spandex for your pilot chute, and as little bridal exposed as possible. I have velcro that runs from the spandex pouch up to where it tucks in, so that helps too.

Course the best thing to do would be to get a freefly friendly rig. :)

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

Basically any new rig is reasonably safe to freefly with - some US built rigs include Vector 3, Mirage, Wings, Infinity, Talon3 (Talon2's are pretty secure also), Voodoo, Javelin, Odyssey, etc. What you are looking for is secure main and reserve closing flaps, secure riser covers and good bridle coverage.

Don't freefly in a rig with an ROL mounted pilot chute and don't freefly in a rig with worn out velcro. Velcro closed main and reserve flaps and/or riser covers can be safe for freefly as long as the velcro is reasonable new (i.e. "sticky") - note that the majority of new containers use velcro very sparingly if at all.

Be aware that ANY rig can have riser covers or main/reserve flaps come open in freefall. In most cases it's packer or rigger error that causes it, not rig design.

I'll chime in on the European side... I dont know what your contry requires for TSO type cert, but...

The Parachute de France Atom Legend - and even the standard Atom, the Thomas Sport Super Fly, the Paratek Next and several others are quite snug.

As Lisa said, most new rigs are fine...
Remster

Hey, I use a Vector II and FF, I've discussed this quite a bit in the past, you might want to search. If done right and some modifications are made by your rigger, they're safer, but by no means "safe" for all axis of flight. I do NOT do headdown in mine, the riser covers will blow open and I don't want that to happen. Otherwise, everything else is rock solid, better so then some of the "freefly friendly" rigs I've seen before.

Like Lisa said, just about any of the major modern manufacters' containers are safe for freeflying. I'm partial to Wings since I'm fix'n to buy one. :)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I will not comment on any of the other rigs out there, but I do know that the the Vector III M-series and Micron were designed with free flying in mind. They have the best pin protection and most secure bridle protection on the market( look how many other container manufacturers have copied there designs ). The riser protection also incorporates market leading designs with external and internal riser covers, Relative Workshop was the first to incorporate this in a container and have perfected it in their latest designs.