polarbear

Cypres Service

I have heard someone say that "they know someone" who shipped their Cypres in for 4/8 year service, and a different Cypres was sent back instead of the one they sent in. Has anyone else experienced this?

I want to make certain everyone understands that I do not want to start any rumors! I have not seen this happen; only heard of it. I want to know if others out there have experienced this.

"Holy s*** that was f***in' cold!"

That may or may not be true.

Think about though, would you care if they sent you a different unit? My only concern would be that the unit I received back was:
* Functional
* Had as many years left as the one I sent in.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

It is not of major concern, as long as the two conditions you mentioned were met. But how are you to know? Think of this situation...you need batteries changed and a 4-year check. You change the batteries before you realize it has to be sent in. So, you send in a unit for ONLY the 4-year. SSK returns you a unit that has had ONLY the 4-year, which is what you paid them for. But, it doesn't have new batteries, since you didn't pay SSK for them.

If this is true (which again I have not experienced this first hand) it shows that SSK is unwilling to spend the time to track the original owner, which I think would be lazy.

AGAIN, I want to reiterate that I do not know if this really happens; I am interested if anyone out there has experienced this.

Remember SSK is not the only place doing service. Airtec actually certifies SSK's work since Airtec makes the Cypres. If a unit is found to be defective or non-repairable I could see the service centers swaping it for anohter unit in stock that is about the same condition and age. If SSK has to ship a unit to Germany for analysis, I could see them sending the owner a different one to keep the hold time to a minimal time.

If this is their practice I have no idea. Call SSK and ask... they are open about thier practices and servicing. The crew over there is really friendly too.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If SSK has to ship a unit to Germany for analysis, I could see them sending the owner a different one to keep the hold time to a minimal time.

At work we send units to SSK for 4/8 year checks often. A couple times they've had to send a unit back to Germany for various reasons. In every case, we've gotten a card in the mail and/or an email letting us know what was happening and roughly how much longer it was going to take. In every case, we got the same unit back close to when they said it would be back.

I have heard of Airtec sending a replacement unit of approximately the same age to a customer who's Cypres failed certain tests and was not repairable - but the customer was notified of what was going on. They don't just send a different unit out without an explanation.

SSK is an extremely reputable company that has been in this sport for more years than the majority of those who post here have been jumping. They would not have survived as a business for this long if they didn't provide ethical service to their customers.

I probably should say that the person I heard about this from said nothing about SSK. They could have been dealing with Airtec. Hell, they could have been working through a rigger or gear dealership, and THEY got them mixed up. In my effort to not start a rumor I managed to implicate SSK...Sorry about that.

I have sent 2 Cypreses (Cypri?) to SSK and both times have gotten good service.

Again, I don't know that Cypres mix-ups have actually happened. The information I have is 3rd-hand at best. It doesn't sound like anyone out there has experienced this problem, so it looks like it is either untrue or a fluke.