NewGuy

Rough canopy ride

The last 4 canopy rides on my Hornet 190 have been rather rough. It feels like I'm experiencing a lot of turbulance - although the other jumpers are not experiencing the same sensation in the same conditions (light wind). Apparently, from the ground, you can see my canopy 'accordianing'. Has anyone experienced this and know what can cause your canopy to 'accordian' - assuming that this just isn't turbulance. I've got about 60 jumps on this canopy (I'm a newbie with around 140 jumps), loaded at 1.14.
I'll be taking this to our rigger to check out before I jump it again. It is just far too an uncomfortable feeling (scary actually).
Cheers,
NewGuy B|

We have about the same jump numbers, so I may not be of any help, but I'll try. :)How hot was it and what were you flying over? Flying over objects that assorb the heat from the sun well will cause turbulance. i.e. flying over tarmac, trees, etc. Although you probably already know this. I've experenced turbulance from these things even on stuff like a Spectre 190 loaded at 1.45, it happens...
Do have it checked though, you never know.
Aerials
So up high
When you free your lives (the) eternal prize

You might try some front riser input to help stablilize the canopy. Remember, doing so will increase your angle of decent and shorten your approach. Practice up high first and
check out related articles in the swoop forum.
My first square canopy was a Heatwave loaded at 1.2. I had "rough rides" at one dropzone quite often. A small bit of front riser use on approach really helped.
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

I quit jumping sabres a long time ago because of that feeling. My advise to you is find another canopy. Try a Triathlon, Spectre, Omega or something in the seven cell class.. I NEVER felt chop under my Triathlon..
That accordian feeling you are talking about made me VERY uncomfortable. I have seen sabres on 2 occasions drop someone right out of the air from 20 feet under like conditions.
Rhino
Blue Skies ..... ;)

I had the same problem on a Safire 129, exit weight of about 180.
The problem was much worse when any front riser inputs where used. Icarus claimed that some lines were out of tolerance, however the canopy continued to have the problem.
Were you using any front risers?
JJ

How many jumps on the canopy? Maybe the trim is out of wack?? Who knows?

60 jumps on it. All have been beautiful, except for the last 4.

Were you using any front risers?

Just the rear risers immediatly after opening and then only toggles.
Cheers,
NewGuy B|

60 jumps on it. All have been beautiful, except for the last 4.

Definately take a good look at the line trim. It can cause some funky flight characteristics if they are out of whack. If you don't know how to check it ask a rigger.
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"