prost

Atiar Tandem Canopies

we have produced performance variables tandem 385's for years, making atair the #1 manufacturer of tandems in europe.
we are now introducing a tandem canopy of our own design. a 350 sq' elliptical, with 8 second, on heading, 2 stage buttersoft opening perfection. the canopy has a spanwise cross braced nose, making for a rigid low distortion leading edge airfoil. the canopy is very responsive, excellent in turbulence and has more lift and flare than canopies quite larger. construction: built like a tank. (if you cant tell i am very excited)
pictures and video (openings and flight) will be up on our web site by friday.
sincerely,
dan
atair

Dan, I've heard some container manufactors will only allow certian canopies in their rigs. Is the Cobalt Tandem going to be allowed in the future? And will Atair have demo Tandem mains soon too? Are there flare toggles in addition to input toggles or just a single set of toggles? Hows the pack volume compaired to a PD384 or a SET420? How close does it compare to a Sigma Tandem main?
I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend... ~3EB

I personally put two jumps on the Cobalt tandem. What it is, is a Competition Cobalt 350. It's a fully elliptical, zero-p main.
I am a Vector bitch, so that's what we put it in. I jumped Simon McCormack on the front with a belly cam and we raised complete hell! I never once used the flare toggles, so we are going to delete them on the production models. The canopy hauls ass. We could get over the top of it in hard toggle turns and we even riser dove it. It was pretty windy so I can't really tell how far it will surf in better conditions, but we came through the blade course on our second jump, then stood it up. It's all on video. The video from the belly-cam is a riot because we were fucking around completely and flying head down.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

You know, I don't even know for sure. I DO know that it felt 100 percent ZP. Ask Dan. I never packed it, but it was a motherfucker to carry because it was so slick. The main I jumped was solid lime green (or neon yellow, I am pretty color blind) with black stripes outboard and black diamonds. I think it may have been the first one, but I don't know. Continuous Vectran lines, black nose mod.
My webpage HERE

Would the canopy be able to be used in a student learning environment? That is the main reason my DZ will not look at getting Sigma canopies is because they provide too much input for a student to learn with. The TM's are still jumping EZ 384's becasue the student (and we do 4 tandems) can fly with the flare toggles and not spin up the canopy. Is there any way to leave the flare toggles on the canopy as an option? I'd love to see some of the canopies get replaced at the DZ, but the replacement will need to be able to be flown by students with input from thier TM. Does the Cobalt Tandem meet these requirements?
Since I'm the only Atair jumper on the DZ, if I can convince them to get a demo, I'll probally have to ride tandem to prove its a good canopy.
I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend... ~3EB

Dan- So the one (tandem main) I saw was a prototype? It is the one that had the close encounter w/ the Piper Cub.
I am still willing to test jump the two Cobalt 95'2 w/ differrent line trims to compare front riser pressure. I am also interested in an update regarding the wind tunnel testing.
Hook