SpinDoctor

When's the right time 2 buy brand spanking new kit

LONG - SORRY
OK - this is me... 5'10" 12.5st (175lbs / 79kgs) medium build. 138 jumps currently jump a (second/third/fourth hand) 1 pin Teardrop Classic with a PD170 loaded at 1.17 This cost me £1500 ($2100) after I had done about 40 jumps, last September. I didnt want to buy brand new then for exactly the reasons I am asking these questions now.
I'd like to downsize to a ZP150, possibly a Spectre and maybe a new container
These are my thoughts...
1. Get another pre-used complete rig maybe a Vortex or a Javelin J1
Will most probably have a EXE155 or Sabre 150 in it.
Use this for another ?? jumps / ?? months / years (help)
Might not be the container / canopy I want
Might not be the right colours / fit for me
2. Get a pre used Javelin J1 Container - then pre used canopy
Fit my own F1-11 170 in there (according to sunpath) for a few more jumps
Also fits ZP150 and ZP135
Downsize to ZP150 and sell my Teardrop and PD170 complete
Possibly not my colours
Might not fit well
Cheaper
Should last me for ?? jumps / ?? years based on downsizing 170/150/135 (help)
3. Get a brand new container, Javelin J1 and new canopy
My colours
Made to measure
Fit my own F1-11 170 in there (according to sunpath) for a few more jumps
Also fits ZP150 and ZP135
Downsize to ZP150 and sell my Teardrop and PD170 complete
Should last me for ?? jumps / ?? years based on downsizing 170/150/135 (help)
If this period of time/jumps is long - might be worth considering buying brand new
Costs more money
Thanks in advance for your considered comments
SpinDr.

The right time to buy all new gear is when you can afford it (or can swing the amount of credit needed) and/or when you decide you really want it.
My first 2 rigs were used, third one was all new, current one was a brand new container that I filled with used canopies. I'd recommend the new container/used canopy thing for your pre-second zp canopy - you can get the colors you want on the container (gotta match the jumpsuit y'know :)pull and flare,
lisa
---
Mondays suck

My first kit (which is on the way) is brand new. I had the money so I went for it. I found buying 2nd hand kit to suiot me was a real pain, plus the deal I got was only about 200 GBP more than a good 2nd hand rig anyway :) You shouldn't put a knife in the toaster - but you're an adult now !!! :D

It all depends on what you can afford and how long you intend keeping the rig. I have just bought my first rig brand new simply because I bought it when I was on holiday in South Africa at a very affordable price, Second hand gear including Cypres would probably cost about the same in GBP. I intend keeping the rig for about 200 jumps which means I should be
able to get a decent price for it when Im ready to sell. The advantage of a new rig is itll fit properly, especially for me at 6ft4 230lb. The Choice is yours !
Dale

This is my take on the subject. First of all your current container can hold a 150 easily. You will need to shorten your closing loop but that is not a problem. So you could buy a used 150 main and jump it until you learn it well and get really bored with it. Than put another 100 -150 jumps on it and buy a brand new system designed to hold your 135 main (make sure that is the biggest main you can fit) and your desired reserve. Now you will have spend less money in the long run and if at some time in the further future you want to buy a 120 or smaller or X-braced, well all you will need is a new main.
I, personally, bought my first 2 rigs all used. I am just now thinking about getting all new stuff.
Just my suggestion.
Alex