Skyrose7

aad/cypress

AAD is an Automatic Activation Device. AAD's will open your reserver (or sometimes your main if you set it up that way) if you pass through a certain altitude at terminal velocity.
Cypres is a specific brand of AAD, made by Airtec in Germany. Cypres is by far the most common AAD because if it's reliability and trouble-free maintenance.
The second most popular AAD is made by FXC. FXC's are much cheaper then Cypres, but the general consensus is that you get what you pay for. Most skydivers strongly recomend Cypres.
_Am

AAD's will open your reserver (or sometimes your main if you set it up that way) if you pass through a certain altitude at terminal velocity

This is a little scary. I don't mean to pick on you Andy or Skyrose7, but I continue to be amazed at how poorly most jumpers are educated about AADs and yet how much they are used and even relied on. Yes, they are a valuable safety device, when used properly by an informed jumper who has been properly educated on their use. They even have a great track record with those folks who never bother to learn much more than how to turn it on and off, but they can be and have been a factor in injuries and deaths. Folks, please read the owner's manual. Understand it. Ask questions. Know the design parameters and how it works. For example, the Expert CYPRES is designed to fire at approximately 750' AGL if the vertical rate of decent exceeds _78 mph_, not terminal velocity, which can vary but is generally accepted as 120 mph in a stable, belly to earth attitude. I don't know of any AAD currently in common use here in the US that needs a rate of decent at terminal velocity to fire. Just to get those of you reading this into the learning mode: The Cypres can be "fooled" into firing much higher than the stated design parameter of ~750' AGL. How high can it fire? How can you "fool" it? Hint: The answers are in SSKs website.
alan

a cypress is a tree that normally grows in teh warmer climates of the world I believe. An AAD is a device that some skydivers choose to wear that senses altitude and speed and acts accoring to it's programed instructions. A CyPReS is an example of one such device.

My post wasn't chatter, I was pointing out that too many ppl rely on their cypress, thinking that it will always save them. Who's to say that it won't work? I thought that I had a valid point.
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.-General George Patton-

Forty posts in the first four days. Has Clay's feminine side taken over and begun posting on its own...Or, has Clay's perfect mate has just gotten to DZ.com?!!!! Congratulations you two one way or the other!!!
Sorry to Spam the Gear,
mike
A bucket of Jet A can heat an entire county if burned all at once.

Do I have that many? It sucked me in!! I have been surrounded this winter by only WHUFFOs...that can be a stress on me and them. I was quite relieved to find this place... I get to let some steam off. Now, if you don't mind I think I will go search some sites that I can buy more skydiving things on and max out my credit card (again). yay! more stuff!
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.