jlstysis

Airport security and parachutes

I just flew with my parachute in a carry on bag. They paused the bag when it got to them but did not ask any questions. I decided i would not ask about it and it went fine. I have heard of some people getting a lot of questioning about parachutes, but i think they will not bother you about your cypress if you do not bring it up.

I just recently went to skydive america palm beach and was one of the lucky customers that got my bags searched. The women that was searching my bags had no idea what this odd looking thing in my bag was. So she went to go get her manager. Finally, someone with a clue!! The verdict was: Parchute equipment may be taken on the plane, but it must be checked at baggage claim not carried on. This was the answer that I got straight from security. MrManta must have gotten lucky getting his through security. So, just put it in a bag, lock it up and everything will be fine

I would disagree with you on this....as I have flown on United and Delta and had taken mine as a carry on with out any issue....both times they did want em to open my gear bag for them and show my rig....both times I told them what it was...and they checked with airline policy and let me walk right on....
Marc
Res Firma Mitescere Nescite

I've flown twice with mine. I got hasseled once in LA but they let me carry it on. The security guy asked why I didn't check it I looked at him and said "my life depends on this do you think I'm gonna trust it to an underpaid baggage handeler?" with that being said he let me through. On a side note at 3 out of the 4 trips to the airport the national gaurd guys knew what it was and started asking questions while they were looking at my stuff.
JG

I have carried my rig onboard twice since Sep 11th with no problem whatsoever. Security never even blinks once they see what it is. Still, don't be one of the people that just wears the thing over your shoulders. Put the damn thing in a gear bag along with a jumpsuit or something. Still, I have no problems checking gear either. I checked my extra rig and my spare main both times and didn't have any problems.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

flew to florida with a friend. we had 2 gear bags between the two of us, and were able to carry them on.
lost a gear bag in florida and were left without a way to transport one so we asked about taking it on. The lady at U.S. Airways said no, but when we explained the importance of the gear to her she went to EXTRA measures to make their journey a safe one. We put them in boxes and put the boxes in plastic bags. She put about 10 "FRAGILE!!" stickers all over them, taped and secured them shut.
they offer 2,500 insurance for regular lugguage. for an extra 23 dollars i got a total of $4,800 in insurance. For a jump ticket and some mid day snacks my rigs safety was a little more gaurenteed, well worth it.
http://www.geocities.com/flynfroggie/skydiving_friends.html

One thing to consider when flying with your rig - whether you check it or carry it on - is what you are wearing. As much as we all love wearing our skydiving t-shirts and Tevas, you might think about "dressing down" - my boss flies commercially with Cypres equipped gear all over the world and never wears skydiving related clothes to the airport. She's never had a problem, even after 9/11.
pull and flare,
lisa