NathanL100

Making a Talon 2, freeflyable

I am just learning to sit fly and I have noticed that my reserve flap on my Talon 2 is coming up when I sit fly and my riser covers are flapping around too. Would it be possible to put walrus teeth (or some other kind of thing) on the reserve flap to keep it pinned down without making it unsafe? Also what can be done about tightening up riser flaps??
Blue Ones,
Nathan
A# 39553

Sandy Reid at Rigging Innovations is a great guy and the perfect person to help you with your rig. He really took care of me and any concerns I had with my old rig (Talon gen 1). Since he designed your rig, he would be the first and best person to call.
His number is 520-466-2655
Kris

The Talon 2 was one of the first rigs designed after freeflying came into fashion.
The Talon 2 debuted in 1997 and is really just a '94 Talon with most of the bugs worked out. It akes most designers two or three years to work all the bugs out of a new pattern set. Part if this process is seeing all the new ways field riggers invent to pack things. Some of these new packing methods never occurred in the designer's worst drunken nightmare!
As for the reserve flap opening? The entire Flexon, '94 Talon, Talon 2, Genera, Telesis 2 and Voodoo line are very sensitive to loop length. Too tight and you cannot close the reserve, too loose and the flaps do not line up properly.
When I wrote the Talon 2 packing manual, I specified exact loop lengths for each size of Talon 2. If you stick with those exact lengths, the reserve pin cover should stay closed. I have seen a few '94 Talons that people just wrapped an extra rubber band around the top flap, it was fugly, but they seemed happy.
If the reserve pin cover still opens, then maybe you can return it to the factory for a new reserve top flap that incorporates things they learned on the Voodoo, like extra Velcro and straps.
As for the main riser covers opening, perhaps you need a little slack in the main risers. Too often people pack with their main risers tight and this puts too much tension on the main riser covers.