rmcvey

frosty visors?

I heard that with factory divers-etc. with visors that dont flip up, when jumping in the cold there is a risk of the condensation from your breathe freezing on the inside, practically blinding you unless you take the helmet off??
is someone pulling my plonker? and if not has anyone expierienced this?

My z1 got a little frozen patch that grew during freefall. I think that was caused by condensation from my breath.
I make sure I shut the visor just as the group before exits (or a short period before I exit)
I dont think they are pulling your plonker. Best to get a helmet that you can open the visor on.

I jump in Canada so I experience both heat and cold while jumping and it is SOOOOO true that your visor will fog up. I have a factory diver and I have learned to make due by changing my breathing technique. Breathe in the nose and out the mouth, but you actually have to press your lips up against the breathing hole at the front of the helmet so that no air escapes back into the helmet. If you can get the hang of this, you can make due with very limited fogging. I jump my sweetie's Z1 though and would highly recommend that over the factory diver because of the fogging. I even had mine fog in Montana this year because of the heat when I was in the plane on jump run!!! :)Tee

I wear goggles over my glasses and the glasses always fogs up. Someone suggested that I use this "cheap" anti-fog solution. Mix 30% "Johnson's Baby shampoo" to 70% water(it doesn't have to be exact), liberally coat the surface(in this case both sides of the lens and the interior of the goggles), and let it dry. Don't wipe off the soap film. Does this really work?...it has for me, but I don't know how effective this is for visors, you'll have to try it for yourself.
Dust particles will stick to the dried soap film so you'll need to clean the surface and re-apply again. Hope this proves useful to you.
-G.L.-

Very good reply Tee. Also, once or twice a month, remove the lense and clean it under running water, using a VERY soft cloth, VERY little. I just use my fingers. Then smear on a liberal amount of the anti-fog solution available at any SCUBA dive shop used on dive masks and rinse. This, combined with Tees' advice seems to work well for me.
alan

I have a standard factory diver and have jumped in some cold stuff ( 40 below at altitude last year at freeze fest, cant wait for this year!) Keep the visor CLEAN! Dont use cleaners on it, just water and a soft cloth. Also Dont put the helmet on till the door opens and you know you will get out in 30 seconds or so. Unless your first and your sticking your head out the plane but come on, judgment people! J/K Also dont leave the helmet on your head. If the visor is hot and the air is cold its soda can time. I also have luck with picking up my face to expose the gap for the visor to the wind. Or you buy an oxgyn.
Johnny

All of these techniques work, especially Tee's advice of breathing in through the nose and out of the mouth. I tell people at my DZ to do that, but they generally think I'm pulling their leg.
I also keep a bandana in my jumpsuit (is that a bandana in your jumpsuit, or are you just happy to see me?) and wipe the lens (inside and out) dry after takeoff. This helps keep down moisture which may have formed while wearing the helmet during takeoff. And I put the helmet on at the last possible moment.
On my first jump with the lens installed in my Factory Diver, it iced up so badly I couldn't see the other two people I was jumping with. When they docked on me, I just held on and didn't let go until break-off (there was a little hole in the frost where I could see my altimeter). I tracked like a banshee, and pulled high. I couldn't even see my canopy opening. Very scary. Since then, I've been much more aware of fogging/frosting issues. Breathing correctly and wiping the lens down seem to work well.
- Dan G