landmissle

Toggle attachment howto

Hey all,
Does anyone know (or know of a web-link) how to attach toggles to the brake-lines. What I mean, is can you describe how to loop the brake line through the toggle grommit and what other gyrations are involved.
It seems, that I've seen different methods of doing this. When I removed the toggles from my Safire's brake-lines, it was basically serveral loop-throughs of the toolges through the loop at the end of the brake line. Me wifes canopy a Spectre (same rig and riser type, a Mirage for clearafication.), seems to be hooked up differently. It appears more a knot type attachment that's been finger traped.
The Safire was supposedly finger traped too. But again, the two looked very different.
Anyways, and advice would be appreciated. This is more a curiousity thing than anything else. I wouldn't try it on my own rig until after the brake-lines had been adjusted, if ever.
Feet up, heads down, blue skies,
Landmissle

The only "right" way is one that ensures the toggle is secure. Other than that I'm sure there are 1,432,643 give or take a few ways to tie it up. Here's my tips (Went through lengthening my brakes for the 1st time recently)
1. No matter what make sure your finished product has both brake lines the EXACT same length.
2. Use a measured mark on the lines that should end up at the top of your last knot when pulled tight.
3. I like to tie a loop which is put through the grommett and then the toggle passed through the loop making it darn secure.
4. If all else fails ask any "experienced" jumper around for help. I have seen diagrams in canopy owners manuals that illustrate the whole process. So, you might check all the manufacturers web sites.
4. Ask someone
"and I'm not easily impressed...Ooohh look...a blue car!" -Homer Simpson

If you have a manual for the canopy it should tell you how in there, otherwise I'd suggest getting a manual (can usually be downloaded from manufacturer's sites), cuz like Clay said, there's probably 1,432,643 ways to do it.... and, keep in mind that some of the larger canopies (Like mine) have dual brake lines, so you'll be attatching 2 on each side.
The best thing to do is check with a rigger, they could probably do it with their eyes closed!
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

"The best thing to do is check with a rigger"
Funny thing about that was...all the riggers thought I was nuts! Every person I desribed the problem to thought I should be tightening the lines. No matter how hard I tried to explain it to them they never agreed. LOL....I ended up doing it myself and it worked perfectly!!!
"and I'm not easily impressed...Ooohh look...a blue car!" -Homer Simpson

it's like one of those chinese thingys, if you take a close look at your lines, you'll notice they are hollow, you can spread the fibers out and fish something back up into the middle of them, when tension is applied, it is held solidly in there. Of course, if the line isn't trimmed properly before said finger trap is made, a stress riser can be introduced into that area, making it more prone to breaking (yes, it happened to me on my first canopy, broke the center lines right below the A/B cascade, I actually still have the broken lines at home somewhere) -- it was old, but a rigger who worked at the manufacturer knew exactly what happend. that was reserve ride #2.